Sunday 10 March 2013

Notes on packing after the trip

Javaria pointed out to me, having been physically sick on the flight
back (there was a lot of illness about in our group, one way or
another), the importance of having a toothbrush with you *on the plane*
to get the taste out of your mouth afterwards.

As I think I already said, the idea of carrying the daypack around with
me instead of having my trusty fleece with its pockets stuffed, and
usually ending up carrying it because it's too hot to wear, worked
pretty well. I managed not to forget it, probably helped by the fact
that at night I didn't take it out with me and I didn't get drunk during
the day. ;-) I made a point of looping it around my leg when I sat down
with it, not so much to protect against bag snatchers as to stop me
walking off without it. I also didn't leave too much valuable stuff in
it. A bit of a minor problem there to bear in mind another time was that
the stuff which normally lives in there for flight purposes had to be
shifted out when using it around town; having some extra carrier bags
would have probably been enough to help with that. As it was a lot of
loose junk was floating around in my main bag in the hotel and it was a
bit chaotic.

I had five sets of underwear with me (including the ones I was wearing),
I in fact never wore one set as it was stuffed in the bottom of my
daypack "just in case". I think five was about right though.

Doing my laundry in the room was easier than usual on this trip as:
- I stayed in one place all the time, so I never had to worry about
stuff being wet in the morning when I needed to pack it
- it was warm and I was able to leave damp clothes in the wardrobe to
dry or on the balcony without worrying about objections. Some hostels
have notices about not washing clothes in the sink etc and I've been
reduced to just doing the odd bit of underwear.

Consequently I never actually used my travel clothes line, though I
think it was probably a reasonable thing to have with me anyway.

I could have easily taken stuff out to the laundry if I'd wanted, there
were several around within five minutes walk, but of course it was nice
not to have to faff around like that. (By the time you get out there and
get back, it's probably twenty minutes round trip minimum. It would have
been even more of a nuisance if I had been actively "doing stuff" every
day.)

I had two pairs of trousers, not counting the black ones I took just to
wear with the tuxedo, and no jeans, and that was fine. I wore the Rohan
ones most of the time anyway, as I preferred the "compartmentalised" and
secured pockets to the "ordinary" pockets on the pair of chinos I took.
As usual I only had one pair of shoes, not counting the black ones I had
just to wear with the tuxedo, and no problems there.

I had (not counting the white "work style" shirt I had for the tuxedo,
although I did wear that for Zuhamy's birthday since we were supposed to
wear something white) two short-sleeved T-shirts, two short-sleeved
shirts and one long-sleeved shirt with me. I did wear them all; the long
sleeved one was a bit too thick to wear during the day, but I did wear
it once or twice in the evening when it was relatively cold.

I'll probably think of something else the minute I post this, but I've
been sitting on it as a draft e-mail for days so might as well send it
before I forget and lose it altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment