Monday 15 April 2019

Buenos Aires, Sunday

Sun 1357 At Bar Polo, not too busy, chap didn't seem to hold a grudge after poss rudeness last time, even asked me "bife?" unprompted. One of cats was at street door as I arrived so I touched it lightly on the back.

Very hot today, at least compared to what am used to lately.

Altho I remain a tiny bit dubious the seat plans will turn out to be wrong (eg it seems to be a 2+4+2 configuration and there's no row C) and I'll end up in a non-aisle seat despite getting a choice, the online checkin was actually super smooth so kudos to Edelweiss for that if nothing else. I got to check in and choose seats and both flights and I can check in with phone if want, tho would prefer to have paper as backup. Went to net cafe to print but they had problems; they are open til 11pm and I will prob see if can find a net cafe near here after eating and if they *do* shut early I have phone as a fallback.

Double-checked bus stop for 8 to airport on way over here, did see now I knew to half look for it the words "semirapido" on the stop so that is reassuring. Prob going to aim to leave flat 7ish and get 735 bus; this gets me to airport 830ish which is really too early for 1155 flight but it's just not worth the stress of trying to save myself 30-60 mins of hanging around at airport by aiming for a later bus, because I have to allow time for things going wrong.

1728 At Indoor Bar; did go to LDC but they only take Visa (have one in hidden belt but rather not dig it out and it is credit if that might matter) and also I thought they did pizza but they don't. IB takes Visa and Mastercard so I feel safer (I have about 150ish in cash), getting pint of Patagonia Weisse (happy hour til 9, ARS80) and a ham and pepper pizza - not super hungry as obviously ate earlier but seems prudent to lard out prior to flight.

Struggled bit to find net cafe open round San Telmo (some on GM showing as open weren't) but trogged over to 24h Atomik on Belgrano and printed single copy of boarding passes no fuss; cost 25, I fished in pocket to offload change but really had little tho I did pay 5 of 25 in change.

Then trogged back to Lezama Park and spent an hour semi-meditating while staring in vague direction of blue-domed church. Then back up Defensa (chocka with stalls and bovine crowds, but vaguely cool to see it again) to here.

Noticed a Carrefour Express showing it shutd at 8 Sun so prob the one near flat will as well but also passed a Dia open til 10 so not going to worry about it. If I ultimately can't buy a few packets of alfajores as gifts it is not the end of the world.

Going to have 2-3 pints here, take my time then home I think.

1800 Second beer. "Here's to the times!" :-) For some reason woke up with HMHB's "Alehouse Futsal" running through my head. Spotted a drawing on wall of a coffee shop on walk over to BP with a woman holding a handbag with "Every day is like Sunday" written on it, which changed the mental record. En route to net cafe after BP I briefly detoured round a covered market (prob mainly for tourists but since they had some baskets of cheap ordinary cutlery for sale maybe it's a bit more general) and happened to spot a stall selling toy cars which had a couple of the Matchbox Greyhound buses I had seen on Marty's Matchbox Makeovers (and which had never seen before in real life) during my YT binges, which was oddly cool (but not remotely tempted to buy). For some reason, not long after leaving the market on way to net cafe I ended up with Max Bygraves' "Civilisation" in my head; just possibly this was indirectly triggered by an old metal-looking Fernet advert/wall plaque which I saw as was leaving market which suggested enjoying it with vermouth and had a rather stereotyped black bartender (which seems a little odd here in Argentina, and the text was in Spanish, but what do I know).

1930 Mostly finished third pint^Whalf litre. Made a point for the last one of staring round instead of reading on phone. Tempted to have a fourth but prob best to "leave 'em wanting more" ; I need to walk home and get some stuff (alfajores, some water, snacks for flight) and sober up a bit and then pack and it's foolish to spoil things by overdoing it. Street market stall people been packing up most of last hour.

Mon 0047 Found a supermarket open but halfway through shopping I asked about cards as having some bananas weighed and they only took Visa debit, so had to put everything back. But was a Dia a bit further along and got what I wanted. Quite a nice walk back past Casa Colorada and pretty close to obelisk. Have packed while watching some YT and eating some bananas.

Had to wash trousers so hope they are dry by morning. Bit edgy about departure but it should be fine, I perhaps "should" be in bed but I'm pretty much sober so don't expect to oversleep alarms and until I start yawning there seems little point going to bed, esp as I need to leave phone charging overnight instead of reading on it as I go to sleep. If I am tired tomorrow as long as I don't oversleep it's quite good as it should help me sleep on plane (tho I think the flight is perhaps rather awkwardly timed in that regard).

No comments:

Post a Comment