Friday 17 March 2023

Bahía Drake, Thursday

Thu 16th 1838 Set alarm for 6 but semi-drowsed til IIRC gone 7ish. Meh. Mixed feelings on wisdom of this strategy - arguably I should just have got a solid night's sleep to compensate for presumably not getting much tonight.

Cannot be denied the prospect of getting this 4am bus has tainted (I won't go so far as to say spoiled) the whole day. Jumping ahead, I just walked back from peculiarly grey sunset (not *bad* tho) via supermarket to get snacks (I am eating like someone who expects to be hanged in the morning, I do honestly intend to be fairly spartan with my food during following 6 days) and came back via the route I will do in reverse a bit before 4am - torch needed on steps up near accom (where incidentally I saw an enormous frog/toad, thought it was a rock at first, then another not quite so big one further down) but street lighting on main road at top - do intend to go that way, as while steeper it's shorter overall and probably has a shorter no street lights bit than the other way round - after doing this after dark (but not late) and maybe having had a beer on beach helps too I am not feeling *too* windy. Weather forecast doesn't obviously predict pissing it down at 3-4am. We'll see.

I went over to Roberto's in hope of gallo pinto breakfast but they told me not open for breakfast today, but tomorrow they are. I'll just have breakfast tomorrow then, eh? Not desperate but bit annoying. Sat on beach for a bit, back to accom for half papaya and some of that toronja soft drink, think I did some laundry then and then went back to beach with bottle of water, did read some articles on web rather than meditate (not a big deal), went and had decent but advertised as 3.5k outside but charged 4.5k casado at Marea Alta (I *did* ask about this - kudos - but guy said it was four and said something incomprehensible when I said "but it says 3 outside" - I did look after and there's vague blueness over the 3500 as though it's been changed but has almost weathered away - not a big deal but hate this kind of deceptive shit), then I think came back to accom and read a bit more and then back out to beach for sunset, and already wrote the rest.

Oh, hiking place (new name for "weird place" - I will write name once I've left) replied to say I can stay Wed, and I booked an extra night in PJ hostel for Sun to bridge the gap. Nasty feeling I *could* have chosen "single bed in dorm" when I booked originally and didn't, as that was an option today, but to avoid annoying check out and back in as I move bed issues I went for consistency and chose bunk in dorm on Sun one night booking too. I had asked for a lower bunk already but they said they can't make any promises blah blah. (Ditto hiking place, actually.) Upper bunk would suck but not utterly terrible of course, apart from "territorial" issues putting clothes round end of bed/on floor, my main worry is just that my phone falls out of bed in the night - I read myself to sleep on it, as prob already said - and smashes.

I spoke to owner on way in tonight and yes she says I just turn up, no need to "book" this bus. If I turn up and it's just not there after waiting say 40-60 mins that sucks but outside my control and I'll have to get the 730 boat. If I *can't get to* the bus because of dogs that is more annoying, but ultimately not the end of the world.

I still struggle to see why this bus runs before dawn, presumably it is aimed at locals but why the hell would they need to arrive in La Palma before dawn? And also why doesn't it just run all the way to PJ? Meh, it is what it is.

Maybe it's just me or maybe it's the black/grey RS top (tho I am not in full sun most of time) but it feels way muggier today than it has of late.

1929 FFS. Fourth IIRC attempt to get into shared bog/shower and it's still occupied. I am waiting outside this time. It's a good job I haven't been genuinely busting to go.

Been watching YT and guzzling snacks. Need to pack but not really a huge job and want to leave clothes on line as long as I can before packing.

2144 Packing. FWIW this morning the nominally 50ml bottle of sunblock finally ran out and I had to switch to the new bottle. Not saying I couldn't have squeezed enough for today out with enough faffing but was no need to try.

2200 Actually going to bed. Bit edgy TBH but not too bad. Felt tired-ish for last hour or so but took a while to squash everything into bag and semi-tidy up. (Bag a bit fuller than I'd like due to chunky remains of bag of rice, but since I will need rice for hiking place - I may take daypack separate from main pack to cart food over if I need to - definitely not discarding it.) No idea if I'll go to sleep but not end of world if not.

Google Maps says it's a 5h walk from La Palma to PJ, and I'd have my heavyish pack on too. Fingers crossed it doesn't come to that.

Was/am a bit sorry to be leaving BD but this all tempered a bit by the general taint of nerves around this bloody bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment