Saturday 28 January 2023

Grecia-San Ramon

Fri 27th 1652 In new accom in San Ramon. Had a minor downer earlier but things probably OK.

Did the usual wake up at 5am, go back to sleep, wake up an hour later, etc thing. Time just not passing (not in a bad way, just the opposite of mornings back home!). Got up about 10ish and puttered around and packed etc and left accom about 1150.

Got lucky with both buses, was one about to go in Grecia and then although I had to wait before I could get on and it left one turned up in Naranjo pretty much straight away too. All very cheap as well. of course.

Got to San Ramon about 1415-1430ish and by the time I'd walked (no street signs, despite OSM showing Alajuela-style odd/even system) to accom it was maybe 1445. My phone just said "call ended" when I tried to ring the number (FWIW it was on preferred network type "LTE" and I've just now changed it to "Global" , no idea if that will help or not). I sent a text but it maybe never got there either although not sure. By sheer chance woman (possibly owner's mother, not sure) came to see me anyway. Checked my name and how many nights before she let me in. Also stressed repeatedly how important it was that I close both locks (a bit complex and fiddly) on the main gate whenever I go in or out - TBH this is the main thing giving me a bit of a downer.

Anyway, I came in - they also have a dog (chihauaha? but that kind of size) which seems quite friendly and a fluffy cat - and she showed me to my room, which is really a mini apartment (shared kitchen downstairs though - immaculate and won't be touching it). She asked when I was leaving on Monday and I explained the confusion and asked advice and in the end she rang the bus company for me. Apparently (as I suspect) I need to get a taxi (she said about 1500) to El Mol (?) and there's a bloke there selling fruit and stuff who I should ask about the bus to Monteverde and she is going to meet me downstairs at 630 on Monday to take keys and put me in a taxi, which is nice of her. (I could *probably* do it myself now, but nice if I can avoid problems.)

The bus only leaves San Jose at 630 and the idea is I'll be at El Mol at 7 which is definitely early enough - probably *way* too early but can't be helped and I don't want to miss it (esp as I have pre-booked accom in MV/SE).

Anyway, I headed out into town after all this feeling a bit down (albeit pleased to have the bus semi-sorted) about the lock business. I couldn't find a soda but I went and had a wing and breast at Pollolandia which was 2500 with 2 small tortillas and some small not-that-nice fries. Chicken was good though and it was better value than I thought, as the wing (ala) was more than just the sort of thumb-sized chunk of meat and bone I think of when I hear the word chicken wing. I then went to a supermarket and got some tortilla chips, diet pop and beer - this is weak, and I had been intending to be a bit healthy after drinking (albeit not heavily) all four nights in Grecia, but since I *do* have a fridge and I can't really go out at night here I couldn't resist.

The mini apartment is very nice if a bit sterile. I should at least be able to do a bit of laundry in reasonable privacy. They have multiple apartments here, woman told me she has a lot of students - they must be fairly well-heeled students!

I definitely felt better after eating, while it's not healthy I'm glad I tried Pollolandia and "discovered" what they mean by ala, I did enjoy the chicken. To give myself credit I did also recognise that part of my low mood might be not having eaten.

2255 Had some beers and the tortilla snacks (oddly and with no context labelled with some anti-animal abuse stuff - hate this kind of preachy shit, and if you think that means I am pro-animal abuse you just don't get it), watched some YT, quietly enjoyable night - TBH didn't *need* the beers (had quite a lot lately of course) but feels kind of good to have taken advantage of fridge and got it out of my system.

Was breezy earlier (quite nice - windows all open when I checked in) and from my bed in Grecia it sounded like the world was ending outside but of course it was sunny and warm out, but a bit chillier tonight and I shut all windows. Host woman also came over and brought me an extra blanket, which was nice, although I'm not using it at the moment. Anyway, bed I think.

Oh, I did do all the outstanding laundry earlier. Sink very small but does have a plug in it, which is nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment