Saturday 18 February 2012

London-Buenos Aires

2128 OK, I have downloaded a text editing app before mobile access is lost and I am going to try writing in that. It saves to the SD card and should be simple and reliable. Fingers crossed. Who knows? The first text editing app apparently didn't support using shift to enter capitals. I guess I shouldn't be such a demanding power user, with my fancy-schmancy capital letters.

They are saying there is problem with luggage space. Having overheard something earlier it seems (and this makes no sense) luggage is not allowed under seats (???). So I have shoved my daypack in the overhead locker above my seat; it's essentiallly my private space and I do not want any chance of getting my stuff bumped into the hold. No idea what this business is with no luggage under seats. Fuck it.

I think this is an Iberia codeshare flight. (Screaming brat to my left.) A lot of passengers seem to be Spanish speaking. It's fine except I was wondering how many Brits would be flying to Argentina and the answer is hard to determine but may be 'not many'. (English speaking chap was claiming medical grounds for needing food from cabin crew earlier. May be genuine but I suspect he's a blagger. Maybe I should try asking for food - apparently they have crisps and biscuits, and I don't remember ever being given those - if I fancy it in the night. He's presumably cattle class too and I assume they don't just carry a single packet of biscuits for the medical cases.

We do seem to be leaving on time anyway. Need to switch off now.

2209 Bored already. Seatbelt sign off a few mins ago. Could do with a piss despite going after leaving the Wetherspoons but will hold off so as to a) enjoy the luxury of freely leaving my seat to visit the bog and b) avoid the rush of people apparently feeling the same urge.

Slightly hacked off but I think it's mainly resentment at the lost waffle. Totally unstressed about the flight as a flight with this seat. Should make a point of peering at World Traveller Plus on the way out to see if it's even remotely worth spending £165 on an upgrade on the way back. Food in about 2h and drinks 'shortly'.

Guess I will crank on the in flight entertainment and see how the new noise-cancelling headphones work.

0045 (London)  Just watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I sort of liked it but to be totally honest I didn't have a fucking clue what was going on after the first half or so. I would need to watch it again to have a chance in hell. Slightly distracted by the fact the toilet in front of me is like Piccadilly fucking Circus. Less so now but for maybe half an hour there was a continual horde of people waiting to get in.

I think it's probably my poor memory for faces and names that causes these issues more than anything else. I *would* watch it again, no question, but I am not going to do it on this flight.

NC headphones work pretty well I must say.

In an odd mood. I'm not nervous or scared, I'm not upbeat, I'm not exactly pissed off and I'm not quite bored. Fuck knows. Maybe I'm tired. I am yawning as I write this. Will see what other films are available and perhaps put a blanket over me (it is a bit cold) and see what happens.

Battery at 46% (largely due to speaking with Mum from Heathrow) but it should last and I do now have a spare with me, so it's not quite as big a deal as in November.

0958 (London) What a night. Been shivering all fucking night despite huddling up under a blanket. They served breakfast 15-30 mins ago and the transformation is amazing; I now merely feel slightly cold. I wasn't aware of being hungry either.

We land in about an hour; they are coming through shortly with customs and immigration forms. I did remember to bring my own pen with me this time.

Not exactly looking forward to the customs and immigration circus but it has to be done. I will probably perk up as time goes on - I am not a morning person at the best of times - but right now the idea of a decent bed has massive appeal. I cannot allow myself to sleep during the day though or I'll be really out of sync; it's just that I may end up going to bed about 10pm local time if I continue to feel crap.

Not sure if I will take the cheap and possibly cheerful city bus 8 into town for ARS2 or splurge ARS45 for the shuttle bus. Especially if I am not too knackered I may well go for the former, given I probably can't check in til midday anyway (and we land 08xx their time). With GPS to tell me roughly where to get off and the metro to cover the final stretch as long as I'm vaguely in the city centre the regular bus should be fine; I wouldn't dream of attempting it if I had more luggage though.

It may be so hot I shall not want to face it but let's see. Right now the idea of being warm doesn't sound bad at all.

1031 What a fucking surprise. The customs form is a model of incoherence. You have to declare new and used goods, with a limit of USD300 duty free. I asked the cabin attendant and he says I don't have to declare my laptop. You can bring 'clothes and objects' with no apparent limitation. I assume my laptop isn't 'goods' but fuck knows. This sounds like potential for a massive stitch up. As it happens the netbook was £179 new which I make about USD290. I do have my mobile phone tho, and there is oddly a section on the form asking for make and model of your mobile. I guess it will be OK but fuck me I hate this.

Could do with a shit (not because of the customs form!) but there's been a queue near the toilet ever since breakfast finished and they just announced 20 mins to go so there's a huge run on now and I'm probably not going to get in.

1133 (London) In immigration queue. Quite long. This is fine, it's customs I'm worried about.

1205 In customs queue after clearing immigration and using airport bogs. This is a long queue too, which is a shame, I was hoping not to be under too much pressure going through.

1303 (London) Just got on bus 8. This is going well all of a sudden. Wandered about and asked security guard where stop was. Found it and just missed an 8. While at stop got talking to some bloke and (I think) his son, who were very pleasant. Asked for advice about the bus and it turned out I couldn't pay with notes (I wd 700ish but had a 10 note in my wallet from last time and assumed could just let driver keep change) . I asked them for change - waving my 10 and saying I didn't need it all - and some otherwise guy gave me the ARS2 and wouldn't take my money. Which was nice. (Turns out you need an Oyster type card or coins for the ticket machine.) Guide book did say you need change but I had assumed I could get away with a note if I didn't want my change.

The guy with the son did ask what I did and then how much I earned, but I don't think there was anything in it and I obviously lied anyway. I was openly English and it was fine. He mentioned Las Malvinas briefly a bit into the chat but (I was operating at about 75% understanding in general) he didn't seem to be too fussed and I said some stuff about it not concerning me. Twas fine. Shall stop writing and look out of window and worry about missing Plaza de Mayo.

1205 BA/1505 London. Just checked in. Fuck am I hot & sweaty. The guide book wasn't joking about the speed of that bus, I got off it at 1450 London time and my arse was killing me. But thanks to luck, GPS and my superlative navigational skills, I got off it only 5-10 mins walks from the hotel. Saw some cafe type places from the bus and boy did they beckon. Gonna have a shower and then maybe go get food. I am assuming I don't have to rush too much, especially with it being a Saturday. Phone down to 9% too...

Room/suite seems quite nice on first impressions. AND IT HAS AIR CONDITIONING. And the wifi seems to work. Yay.

Oh, no one asked me anything at customs or even tried to look at my form, the bag just went through the scanner on a complete production line basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment