Tuesday 1 April 2014

Buenos Aires-London (part 1)

0737 At Terminal Madero (for Manuel Tienda León), have ticket for bus at 8. Walked over from hotel, no problem, passed 'my' building :-). Woke up on alarm at 0645 and was up by 0650/55. Left hotel a bit after 7. Throat feels a bit dry after last night but generally not too bad. Had v quick attempt to check in online this morning but it just 'ignores' me clicking on the button to confirm. It's OK, I am pretty sure my seats are allocated anyway and as per yesterday I need to go queue up at the check in desk regardless.

I'm going to travel about 7000 miles. Amazing eh?

0855 At airport. The check in desks shown on monitor form my flight are not open yet.

D'oh, looking at another Madrid flight later, display is sorted alphabetically not by time so two are adjacent.

0912 OK, fair old queue but checked in. No one weighed my bag. Incidentally, was no immigration or customs form to fill in when I arrived in Argentina.

There's a McDonald's, let's go see if I can afford to eat before I pass security.

0916 Well this is shit. They don't seem to do a 'breakfast'; it's all bagels, toasted sandwiches and hotcakes. I can't trust them not to put mayonnaise in the two former, which make the bulk of the menu, and I don't really fancy paying ARS31 for 454kcal of hotcakes and a coffee. I think I can do better than this; FFS, I'd probably be as well buying a packet of crisps. I think I'm going to leave this and have a wander landside and go airside if I can't find anything, I think I can afford to give this a miss.

"Invisible touch" playing...

0921 Fuck me. Just went to illegno (??? ilegible more like) opposite. They can't be arsed to print prices but I asked, a shitty little calzone and/or a shitty little ham & cheese baguette each weigh in at ARS60-something, maybe even 70. You are having a fucking giraffe.

1006 Airside. Security v swift, no fuss.

I went to McDonald's in the end; I asked about mayonnaise on the bagel (cheese, lomito, egg) and it didn't have any. I got one then when that was OK (if bit heavy on cheese) queued up again and got a second. 2xARS19 not great but better than that other place. Might see if can buy bottle of water airside but not obvious if I can.

Getting odd twinge from a front lower tooth. Not idea why, I have no had anything up to now. I am in quite a worried state of mind anyway and obviously this is now making me fear it's going to become seriously painful during the flight. Nothing I can do about it, it probably won't, I do have OTC painkillers in my bag and if it does flare up in many ways this is no worse/better than it doing so at say 6pm on a Saturday, when I'd have to wait over 36h before there was a chance of seeing a dentist. (Of course, I least I could suffer in comfort instead of being on a flight in that case.) If I wasn't worried about it getting worse the twinges themselves are not particularly bad. I wouldn't be surprised if I was grinding my teeth last night while sleeping and maybe that has caused things to shift about slightly. I don't think this twinge is completely unprecedented even in this location, though this particular location is definitely not one I've had a twinge recently. Feeling/imagining something in my upper front teeth now, so clearly my mind is running away with this...

1030 Yay. The only place I can find selling water is another "illegible" shop/"restaurant". ARS23 for a 500ml bottle. FFS. They didn't even mention a liquid restriction at security, so I could probably have brought some with me. I bought it anyway, slightly chilled and didn't seem to hurt teeth despite deliberately ensuring they were exposed, maybe a good sign, dunno. There is an "Open 25 hours" (name is in English, I was wrong saying "Abierto 25 horas" other day) but they have no drinks of any description. I love airports and I just adore wanky security restrictions.

The gate (10) has no seats tho there are some other side of some plexiglass and for some reason people are queuing at the gate already. This is an 1155 flight.

I could go sit down but I won't, I will be doing enough sitting on the plane.

Bottle is paper-thin plastic and has no structural strength, I shoved it half full into my bag for later, fingers crossed it doesn't leak (all over my netbook).

Oh, I took (a single) ibuprofen maybe half an hour ago. Not sure if that was wise and I should have maybe "saved the potential pain reduction" for later (I have plenty of tablets) but I figured it might help and probably wouldn't hurt. Had minor twinge minute or two after drinking the water but I am currently feeling pain elsewhere in jaw. I am suspecting this is a manifestation of my wisdom teeth 'shifting' slightly and applying pressure and/or having clenched jaw a bit due to stress overnight/this morning.

1103 There seems to be free wifi here, have managed to send and receive some emails. Bit pointless but I will send this now.

No comments:

Post a Comment