Wednesday 2 April 2014

Buenos Aires-London (part 3)

0553 Had the peanuts (80g of sugary coated peanuts, packet says Quito, Ecuador). Feel bit tired, with luck I can sleep on this flight as there's no free meal service and it's now getting on for 2am body clock time. Flight is at gate B29 not B28, not a big deal.

News is on TV here, something about a tsunami in northern Chile was mentioned.

Boarding is shown at 0716 (ie 0616 UK) which seems oddly precise but still. (Especially when the departure time is 0755.)

It's not that long a flight - something like 2h 40 IIRC and I suspect the actual flying time is less. But even an hour or two's sleep would probably make all the difference to not crashing before say 11pm tonight.

Some people (staff) on Segways. One woman came past at a ferocious pace a few minutes ago.

0636 On plane (737-800, fact fans).

Not absolutely knackered but moderately hopeful of getting some sleep in. If not not the end of the world.

0914 At platform at Gatwick, just managed to navigate ticket machine queue and the confusing mishmash of prices, I paid 10 exactly for an FCC only ticket to Ldn Br and one is due at 0917.

Did sleep a bit on flight, felt bit ropy of waking up and throat v dry but, you know, Security and I can always pay through the nose for a bottle of water at an airport shop.

0919 On train. For the first time since January I have mobile data! Amazing what modern technology can do, and mobile network operators can price out of convenience.

0923 For some reason I've got a mangled version of Billy Bragg's "Like Soldiers Do" running through my head; I think it came on on the flight after I woke up.

0932 The ticket machines at Gatwick would be less confusing if all the single ticket options were on the same page. Instead they are mingled in with useful 77 quid options (probably some kind of weekly season ticket or something, I obviously didn't pay much attention) which mean you have to page back and forth to see all the singles. The UI also has some feature which (twice) resulted in me pressing iirc "OK" as in "OK, dismiss this pop up" which it treated as "OK, I'd like to buy this ticket" - I think this was after pressing the "i" button to check the ticket conditions.

0937 Barring some accident I haven't yet noticed, I don't believe I paid a penny in roaming charges to EE over the entire trip. Swivel on it.

Oh, and no trouble at all from teeth (kind of obvious, I guess I'd have yammered on about them if they had played up) once I left BA more or less. Probably just one of those transient things.

1000 On DLR train, just leaving Bank now.

No comments:

Post a Comment