Saturday 15 December 2018

Antigua, Friday

1302 At Casa de las Mixtas, just met Spanish teacher for an in person class. She recommends getting shuttles about 2pm on Monday for a 7pm flight. Getting chorizos asados here. May go loiter round hostel a bit this afternoon. Teacher also suggests loitering in central park may lead to some locals coming up and talking to me to practice my Spanish.

Last night was quite fun, I half wanted to stay out after 1am but quite glad I didn't really. Drank quite a lot but not insane amount, may very well have a quietish night in unless some social event drops in my lap - just squat in hostel bar and have a few leisurely beers. Met three other guys from tour in Cafe No Se (very good bluegrass music actually, bit pricey) then we went to Lucky Rabbit, though one of the guys had an 8am shuttle today and so didn't stay very long. Ended up playing jenga and dancing a bit with the other two guys (a couple, but using guys generically).

Legs are hurting a bit today.

Second-hand tales last night of tarantulas and scorpions in rooms in some place whose name I forget (but I think there is a hostel called Zephyr there and you can go tubing and caving) in the north of the country. It sounds like phobia centra to me. But let's see if I feel differently after hopefully doing the FSP come April-ish.

1333 Food pretty good, though my request to swap the guacamole out was either not understood or ignored. I did eat a bit of it, TBH it is not so bad, I could imagine it growing on me; it's not mayonnaise. I note they have a three beer per person maximum here; not a problem but a smidge restrictive. I may have a michelada (relatively cheap at Q22) when I finish this third coffee and then go loiter at hostel. Will probably indulge myself in two full meals today, maybe go to El Faro later, though the day is wearing on so maybe not. We'll see.

Will probably go up Cerro de la Cruz tomorrow,  but not going today given legs hurt a bit. It isn't likely to be significantly less busy Friday, I suppose it depends how much of the crowd is tourists (national or international) and whether some of the national tourists are weekending from GC, but anyway, not going up today.

1353 Just suddenly thought the temperature is very pleasant, here in the shade anyway. Wearing T-shirt and not feeling too hot or too cold. Bit warm in the street walking over here, but I was rushing a bit and didn't have time to try to keep in the shade.

1416 Feel a bit bloated. Just asked for a michelada. Must admit the idea of sitting at hostel and watching some crap on Youtube for a bit is quite appealing.

2003 Watching crap on Youtube. One of the women from the Acatenango hike (which I still need to write up) came over for a chat earlier, which was nice. I'm in the front courtyard on a dangling chair thing because it has a power socket near it. There's a beer pong tournament going on round by the bar in the back courtyard but I haven't gone over; feels a bit intimidating and I also know fuck all about beer pong. Feeling generally a bit lazy; I really should be eg writing up Acatenango or checking flight check in log on details but reality is am unlikely to do this until tomorrow. Might go have a beer at bar (probably sit away from main crowd though) later, not sure, barring any random invitations I don't particularly plan to go out, I was out last night and feel slightly tired etc. Legs really hurt quite a bit when I got up to leave CdlM for some reason, though they feel fine right now.

2041 Yawning quite a bit. Feel a bit hungry but didn't go out for a second meal, did have a leftover snickers from hike a bit ago. I think this all argues strongly for going to bed maybe 10ish, probably without having a beer, unless someone actively invites me to do something (which is unlikely, but would probably participate on gift horse grounds).

2050 One of hostel cats just been playing with USB lead I'm charging phone with; it was particularly attracted to the velcro loop floating around halfway down the cable.

Do feel a bit Billy No Mates hanging around here but at the same time also feel a bit hungry and really just inclined to go to bed.

2125 Few other loners kicking around staring at phones. Cleaned teeth in communal bathroom off bar area; dorm has a private bathroom but no fucking idea if I can turn the light on in there (it has translucent glass in the door) or not without breaching etiquette. I don't in fact know if anyone else is asleep in dorm because the light is off and short of doing a Prisoner: Cell Block H routine shining a torch on each bed (which I can't see going down well) I have no way to know. One of the key issues with dormitories in general is that it seems to involve doing everything in the fucking dark.

This did effectively force me to go look in the bar area. Quite lively but doesn't look like it would be easy for me to chat with anyone or sit around on my own without being in the way. But maybe I'm just in a slightly bad mood or (more likely) a bit tired for whatever reason. I have at least managed to hang around watching Youtube crap in communal area which is progress of a sort, and on a personal comfort level is useful. Writing this just outside dorm so going to go in to bed now. Wifi has signal in dorm but for some strange reason phone mostly refuses to try to connect.

No comments:

Post a Comment