Tuesday 29 January 2019

Santiago, Monday

Tue 0043 Not a super full day. Woke up late-ish, probably got up about 1pm, feeling reluctant to leave flat for some reason. Anyway, about 3pm I went out for a walk, which was quite nbice if not that long. Walked slightly at random but vaguely towards where I had seen Plaza de Armas on map. There was a likely-looking shop on Huerfanos so went in and asked about a travel adapter; hope I wasn't too volubly incomprehensible but guy did seem to understand me and I paid about for quid for a universal travel adapter, which does seem to work. Wandered on and found a St Isabel supermarket so had a look in there to see if there was any more variety (yes, but no English mustard) compared to Express opposite flat, bought some relatively lightweight supplies and came back home, popping out briefly to Express for some water/soft drinks (much better selection at St Isabel but not lugging bottles any further than can help) and cooked and ate.

Mostly bummed the night away, really need to sort out transport re Brazil but really reluctant to face this. Did sign up for the Spanish exchange tomorrow (strictly today now) at 8pm, so that's something. Need to investigate the laundry room supposed to exist in building tomorrow.

Feel a bit like I'm wasting valuable time here but at same time within limits if I'm feeling like relaxing a bit it's OK.

Oh, I did have a very brief chat with the woman bagging my groceries at the SI supermarket; she asked if I was on holiday here (must have some subtle flaw in my Spanish accent :-) ).

(First universal adapter the guy showed me was something like CLP6950. I asked if they had anything cheaper and they showed me another near identical one at CLP2690, which I bought. Ideally I'd shop around more but that's not an insane price - eg Robert Dyas had an AUS/NZ (Argentinian) simple fixed adapter plug at about four quid when I looked back in UK - and after having had to speak to someone instead of just  browsing shelves I felt a slight social pressure to buy; not sure if this is a minor character flaw on my part, but it wasn't too strong - I wasn't going to pay 6950 without having asked around a bit first.)

It's 0120, let's go to bed. Not exactly tired but not not tired and just maybe I'll get up earlyish.

No comments:

Post a Comment