Monday 9 March 2020

Medellín, Sunday

Sun 2115 Not too bad a day overall.

Didn't get to sleep til gone 4am, some stupid shitty concerns I won't mention here kept running through my head. Alarm at 10 found me feeling not surprisingly a bit knackered, I finally got up at 11ish in response to cleaner trying to get in.

Think I went out for a wander about 12. Had a couple of tintos at Super Todos Mickey Mouse (1k each), later found myself on carrera 81 where had been when I got lost trying to go to ethnography museum and had another tinto (800) and a ham and cheese croissant (2k) at a smallish open-to-street cafe which I had seen that other day. Quite an interesting selection of baked treats there and might return.

Wandering on I came across La Fonda del Burro which had also seen and been tempted by that other day so went there for lunch. Pretty decent churrasco and chips with jugo de lulo en leche, sadly the salad which I asked for undressed (and which turned up after I'd eaten the rest of the meal) had something slimy in it, maybe it was dressing or just some fancy ingredient - to be fair it looked a sort of "fancy" salad and if you're into that sort of thing probably nice, but I sniffed it and decided not to eat it and pushed it away. *Two* staff noticed and asked me if I wanted another one, I think they even offered to do me a lettuce and tomato salad, but I declined - I really don't like eating salads even undressed (vegetables yes, when I cook them myself with rice or in a curry, but salads always feel boring and/or mildly disgusting) and I normally force them down at the start of the meal and didn't want to do this at end, plus *maybe* it was my fault for not asking clearly and it would have been super awkward if they'd brought me something and I still didn't like it. Kudos to them for trying to be accommodating. I was able to pay by card, they did miss the juice off the first bill but not a big deal. I might well go back at some point, ditto with both the two places I went for coffee and/or snacks beforehand.

Did toy with going into Don Kavi's but I had seen on GM (and in person as I happened to pass it anyway) it was shut today. Also passed shop-cum-bar I went to with Angus after last Monday's exchange at DK. I passed a barber's and although I didn't like the look of it that reminded me I had planned last night to get a haircut today, so a quick poke on GM and found  Barberia Alfa (think that was it) and went in and got a no 1 all over for 13k (made it 15k with tip) and had a fairly decent (if mildly awkward as usual 70-80% understanding plus of course I was at a funny angle and clippers etc buzzing round head) chat with barber and some other chap (maybe a mate, or another barber). Interestingly enough they had a sign inside advertising beer at 3k if I remember, but I didn't try to extend my stay by having a beer.

Then came back via exito (I was passing, and got some fruit) and had said to myself I'd do the elefun written exam (which I forgot to say they had e-mailed me this morning) and then go have three (no more) beers at FdlC. So I did that, although I popped round corner to elefun to make sure I could find it first (easy) and the first time I went into FdlC the sole customer (?) who I sat vaguely near gabbled something at me and I jumped to the conclusion he was telling me to leave or something, but after wandering down 70 and feeling a bit pissed off I went back eventually - bit tempted to go into BC13 (?) opposite which had more ppl and beers at 2.5k so not much more, but most customers watching football on big screen and most of free tables might have been blocking view of other people so I went with FdlC. OK but felt a bit unsatisfactory somehow, had two beers and came back to hotel. Slacked off a bit but also done a tiny bit of laundry. Need to do minor prep for tomorrow and not go to bed too late.

Bit excited and also a little bit edgy about starting class.

2341 Not exactly tired but not not tired and probably to go bed shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment