Thursday 5 March 2020

Medellín, Wednesday

Wed 2249 Got back from lang exchange at Onda's maybe 10 mins ago; EasyTaxi (I had walked over there but it felt borderline iffy tho prob OK to walk back) but compared to fare on meter ET price disappointingly high, but you're paying for the "safety" I guess since you're not supposed to take cab on street.

Got up 10ish, went down to check about switching from old to new reservation, tried to pay for old reservation but they were a bit cagily dismissive and said I could pay later. Subsequent chat 3pmish makes out they are having trouble taking cards, but "soon" it will be possible - not quite sure why they have been so evasive about this.

Went over to modern art museum. No trouble getting there, area busy but not quite to my taste (bit pricey/office worker lunch-ish, a bit Canary Wharf esque - oh, and I had two people try to engage me in promotional conversation right by Industriales metro). Only 6k instead of usual 10k to get in as several galleries shut. Was in there maybe 1h15-1h30, and that was with milking the (decent) views from the two terraces a bit. Art not bad - though I stopped reading the wanktastic descriptions and just enjoyed the art for what it made *me* think about - thing that really sticks in mind somehow was "Black Box" film showing 7mins-ish of DC-3 flying around and views from it etc. Not all that much to see with those galleries shut but not exactly pricey.

Got a very decent (if not fancy) steak, chips and large undressed salad with juice followed by tinto at El Colmado near hotel on return. A chap from LE on Mon got in touch and pseudo-invited me to join him on a self-guided tour of graffiti in comuna 13 but I politely declined unless he wanted to join a proper tour - it's prob fine but I think he wanted to go on bike and I obv don't have one and I'm a bit cautious. Don't think any hard feelings and it was nice of him to ask.

Popped down to Exito for water (though asked someone tonight and told tap water here is safe; if I do stick on for a while I may try it) and paracetamol (Mum's "insistence" in case I need to self-isolate, as I write this it makes no sense at all but whatever) and some fruit. Delayed at checkout as woman in front of me semi-reasonably but lengthily objected to (AIUI) some pre-labelled tilapia negra being charged a different price than shown on label. Not a big deal, just some local colour.

Went over to LE at Onda's, walked over - not really dodgy but a bit edgy all the same - along calle 47D. Got there v early but had chat with owner at bar on very nice roof terrace, later chap from Mon LE turned up and introduced me to a German woman from his hostel who I spent most of evening speaking to and helped a little with her ongoing plans by lending her my phone to call her Taganga hostel (I have free minutes to Colombian numbers I am never going to use, an insane virtually unlimited amount). She left with Adam (worries re getting home safely) maybe 10ish, I joined a couple of other groups briefly and had OK chats, a little in Spanish, really a mainly social rather than LE night but all good. As I said got cab home.

Barring an explicit invitation I am not going out tomorrow night but will prob either go to karaoke at the other LE cafe and/or the Fri lang exch at Onda's (which is apparently much busier and runs later; they were closing as I left, though owner v up front about it and I could wait for taxi etc no problem) on Fri. I sort of want to be up early Sat (at least until I have been here long enough to exhaust the "weekend only for safety" tourist options) which is a bit of a shame in this respect but see how it goes.

Wondering if I should try to book a walking tour for tomorrow now but bit reluctant.

Although it was busy enough, I spent most of night talking to that German woman (I know her name but not writing it here) so didn't circulate much tonight, except for the chap who I have seen every night I didn't see much obvious overlap in people between the 4 LEs have been to so far.

I think have been coughing less today (though was a bit tonight) but throat felt a bit funny at times today. Fuck knows.

Anyway, that's about it for the blow by blow account.

Oh, while I felt pretty hot today, it was pretty nice up on the roof terrace at Ondas with the breeze and all. Indeed the wind flipped a menu and knocked one of my beers over, but broadly speaking it was very pleasant, comfortable but not chilly up there.

2319 OK, I've signed up for 1014 walking tour (about 3.5h) tomorrow. That's a *bit* early by my standards but not insane, if I'm up for 9 and out sharp-ish I will be there with plenty of time to spare, and it will leave me free for lunch by early afternoon (I may trog over to Indian restaurant "naan" recommended by some people met at end of tonight; apparently 30k would get me a very good meal and 20k is doable) and then I can have a quiet afternoon/evening in afterwards.

2341 Bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment