Friday 1 March 2024

Panama City, Thursday

Thu 29th 0002 Leap day! Mildly headachey, prob from coke and prob not directly related to illness. Feel broadly OK.

0736 Didn't sleep too badly, got up for big piss maybe 5am but that will be the coke. Was lying in bed feeling slightly hungover (only that one beer, but then again felt a bit like that yday on none), realised needed bog and just been. Had annoyingly unsolid BM, but it's not as if I've eaten vast quantities of solids and it felt "under control" rather than suddenly demanding attention out of nowhere.

I might as well stay up now I'm up; i vaguely hope to pop out and get+send a postcard nearby (someone talking about this last night) before the briefing. I am going to eat a little here in room then go have a free coffee.

1459 Just got back from brief pop out to buy some diarrhea tablets - on the grounds if I buy them I won't want them. Did at second (?) attempt manage to express this in spanish without giving a medication name, and I got some "take two a day" tablets for 0.75 each and got four and used up a fair amount of change. These are Topron Nifuroxzida 400mg. Good to have some variety.

I also went and had a small chicken chow mein at little vaguely chinese-ish restaurant near hostel, with a full fat coke, and fingers crossed that has gone down OK.

Met Laura from last night this morning over coffee, we went out together to see if we could send some postcards - we did, minor advetnure but we went to post office admin place, helpful chap walked us round corner to a place selling collectible stamps etc where initially they wanted 5 for a set of 10 postcards but I asked and they found some odd ones at 0.5 each so I bought two of those, we wrote them in there and then went down to post office inside Las Americas and send them off (only 0.35 each). I wish I'd written date on them, esp as it's leap day, but they will at least be postmarked. Usually would send WW and parents same card but as I couldn't get two the same I sent different ones - not actually been to either place at least on this visit, but never mind.

We then went to supermarket and L got some cash out and bought some supplies, then back here for briefing which was fine. Prob are about 25 in group, mostly Europeans and quite a lot of Brits. I might guess I'm upper quartile of age but probably not the oldest. I asked about malaria in the bit of Colombia we go to, apparently there is some but dengue is main risk (so extra glad my strategy is repellent not antimalarials).

All sounds OKish really.

Then came back and pseudo packed - everything is in plastic bag after plastic bag (I just hope I've sealed them all properly) but I can't do a "final" pack until tonight when I can take my shoes off and bury them at bottom of bag etc. I asked and I think I'm going to be fine with my 35ish litre main bag as my hand luggage.

As I say then went out and got the tablets and had something to eat. I am cooling off in room with aircon but just may go sit in a public area later. If anyone does propose a brief trip out to somewhere of interest I will go but I am not going out of my way to dash down to CV for an hour or two - as I said yday, in some ways this would feel a bit crappy and I'd be feeling stressed out, given I *have* seen it years ago and will probably be back at some point it might be nicer to see it "calmy" and perhaps stay there a night or two.

I don't feel 100% and BMs are not v solid (but not almost watery) but touch wood this is just me continuing to recover and I am not going to get horrible urges to go at zero notice. Guts were grumbling a bit this morning but they didn't stop me going out with L and although they don't feel 100% now they are not bad. Fingers crossed it will all be fine.

There was for about an hour a suggestion we had to be ready for car tomorrow at 0430 but it is now 0500 again. This is still early and I'll probably have to get up at 4 etc but it's fine.

I kind of feel I "ought" to be making more of my last day in PC, but I am not 100% and even ignoring that I need to remember it maybe makes sense to husband my energy for the boat trip rather than making myself miserable/tired charging round this afternoon/evening, esp as I *am* not 100% and want to give myself a decent chance to improve further before tomorrow.

During coffee this morning I got confused and thought it was 1st March on looking at my watch, which doesn't know the year. But I did realise eventually and have set it to 29th Feb, which it does recognise if set manually.

I've put UK SIM in the O6 for the trip. Apparently there may be reception at times. In any case, the only think I'll be receiving is text messages in the (fingers crossed, touch wood) case there is any emergency message from home.

1528 Oh, Ethan from Volcan Baru hike was passing when having coffee this morning and said hi. 95% sure it was him but oddly (despite knowing he had some kind of pro sailing gig on here) somehow couldn't believe it was him so was extra doubtful, if that makes sense.

1556 Went to sit in public area for a bit but it is damn hot. If I miss seeing someone and going out it is fine. CV in particular needn't turn into some kind of obsession/regret - it was a vague whim to start with. If anyone does message on the WA or whatever that's fine but I don't have to be over paranoid. I am not feeling 100% (maybe 90%) so it makes more sense to have a nice lie down and read quietly and enjoy the ac while I can.

And except for eg CV, it's not as if I'm probably not going to see far more than I'd like of the other trip people over the next four days, and I will probably see them a bit tonight too.

1842 Been having chat round back with some trip people. I was getting very slightly agitated about missing out on CV and had vague ideas of bolting over there in a taxi but I told myself (truthfully I think) it's not like a single building you look at, it's an area and you need to walk round a bit. Annoyingly it turns out a load of people did go over there this afternoon, I guess they are all in same dorm-ish, I don't take this personally. Also tho maybe rationalising I think they went to a bar and while that's nice-ish I was more looking to walk round etc and bit of a shame but not end of world.

I am gonna have a shower I think. I shaved this morning but I may shave again as I am not going to have a chance in morning. I have no idea if I will get chance to shave during trip or it's a bit rustic and that's not a thing.

Did wonder earlier about a haircut but TBH it is genuinely fine (insofar as it really matters).

Had a beer with them. Some gone out to dinner but they're going somewhere fancyish and it wouldn't be my bag anyway but (tho I'm only lightly touching on my recent minor illness) given I already ate and feel about 90% I *really* don't fancy it. I still have my own beer in fridge and may have that or another beer or something later.

I have prob at least USD330 in cash and likely another 100 stashed away, so even after spending say (which I suspect will be on high side) USD150 on trip I will have a reasonable amount to take home with me, not checked but I have an idea I only came out with 140ish.

1853 I just checked and I have my three passport photocopies, my printed accom proof for Capurgana and my printed flight home from Colombia. And my passport. So I should be solid on these and anything else will just have to be dealt with. Let's go have a shower.

2002 Guzzled packet of lemon biscuits bought towards end of Bastimentos stay, feel slightly sick. Come out with beer and bottle of water, not cracked beer open yet tho don't want it to get too warm. Have semi-packed a bit more now I am not wearing shoes and could pack them at bottom of bag, not great amount of space they take but can't be helped.

Somewhat irrational vague disappointment/sad to be leaving feelings. Meh.

There are the three swiss guys spoke to earlier speaking german to each other, I said hi just to acknowledge them but don't want to force them into speaking English just for me etc.

Still need to finish packing when I go to bed. I suspect it's all going to be chaotic and I won't remember where stuff is but I also suppose since I will have everything in my hand luggage the worst case is desperate hunting not being without something.

Started reading Our Mutual Friend for first time in years (at one point I was frequently re-reading it on phone). Prob my favourite Dickens book, but it does lay the sentiment on a bit thick and yet I'm in the kind of slightly edgy mood where I'm prone to feeling it and it's I suppose kind of good and kind of bad.

2213 Was chatting with a few guys. Been back in room for a bit and desperately packing. I think it's basically OK but I don't think my daypack will fit "inside" my main bag, which shouldn't be an issue based on briefing. Have thrown away a few misc plastic bags (eg bread bags) accumulated over time but still kept quite a few. Having the shoes inside the main bag is a real killer for space.

I still need to do a bit of last minute packing (K1, charger, etc) in morning. It's fine.

Don't feel 100%, but still 90%ish and fingers crossed I am only going to get better.

2217 Kind of going to bed. Will send this now. Fingers crossed. Moderately optimistic this is going to be good-if-mildly-challenging.

No comments:

Post a Comment