Thursday 21 March 2024

Salento, Wednesday

Wed 20th 1734 At small bakery with K1.

Woke up maybe 7ish with vague trek dread. But I did sleep fairly well. Got up maybe 9-10ish. Clothes not very dry. Faffed around getting dressed etc feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Went out. Found owner in kitchen, he offered me coffee and some saltine type crackers (there is no breakfast included, dunno about coffee) and I chatted with him a tiny bit. I asked if I could hang my clothes on line in garden and he said yes and they should still be there and it was under cover so fingers crossed they will be fine.

Went out, El Balcon de Los Recuerdos has been closed all day. Had pintado and cake here first thing, wandered, went to supermarket and bought bin bags (1.5k) and found a pharmacy and bought those suero things (don't have the note here as it's on O6, a constant niggle when writing this up) at chemist, got 3 at 2k each, turns out they are each a sachet for making a hydration solution from a litre of water.

Wandered across yellow bridge. Randomly found signs for hand of god lookout. It looked naff on poster but wandered over. Didn't go in, turned back to town - just doing light walk and killing time. Wondered if I should go - it was only 5k on poster, a quid. Turned back. Went in, chap says it's open, I say 5k? and he says 10k. I say thanks and turn and walk off. Not in a rage, just not doing it. they have a poster *right outside* their property with 5k printed on it. If they can't be arsed to fix this I'm not cooperating. Also had it been 6k I might have though what the fuck, I'll do it. But double the price for a naff-looking novelty (it isn't even clear from poster if it sticks out over a cliff or just rises from flat-ish ground), meh, forget it.

Came back into town, wandered, had another pintado and a pastry thing at a little bakery coffee shop place with a fluffy ginger and white cat.

Wandered round to Esomething (in guide book) on offchance of curry (oh, had checked for place yday but either couldn't find it but I think i did and it was just shut) but it wasn't open, so had surprisingly good menu del dia "casado" (my term, hence quotes) at El Rincon de Lucy for 17k, which included a surprisingly big and welcome jug of juice. I had chorizo as the meat. Felt a bit sickly full towards end but I think it was just overindulgence in junk. It also started to piss it down (vaguely ominous re trek) and tho it had slowed to drizzle when I came out given I felt ill and wanted to relax a bit went back to hostel and ended up spending maybe too long back there.

Came out about an hour ago, weather sunny, different singer on at bar by hostel tonight but will prob not go given trek. "Needed" to buy bananas and eventually got 7ish (2lb?) for 3.5k at little fruit shop opp this bakery, and having a nut toffee swiss roll thing and a pintado here and then will go back to hotel and force myself to pack (ie empty main bag out completely and put what i want for trek back in and everything else in a plastic bag to leave here).

Have found possible hostel with private room in Chapineiro but not booked yet as hoping to get answer re cost of (says additional charge) luggage storage, if I don't i may risk it and book tonight anyway. I may also book at post-trek hostel for Sun night and then I'm probably potentially sorted for bookings.

Vaguely dreading and vaguely looking forward to trek. Really didn't and don't want to pack. Saw guide briefly at "breakfast" but not since. Guess I need to ask him what time we are starting tomorrow.

Oh, I have two squashed up litre disposable bottles for water and fearing that might not be enough (esp as prob hard to fill with 1l given squashiness) I bought another litre bottle at supermarket tonight. Not looking forward to lugging three litres of water but I guess it's good to have the capacity even if I don't actually carry them full etc.

Had two big dumps today which is unusual, hope I am OK with this on trek and ideally can avoid shitting in the woods.

1750 Finished coffee. Vague "ought to make the most of this night" feelings, but reality is I will have Sat night and all day Sun (albeit with an early start Mon) here as well, and I do have one beer in hotel fridge if it hasn't been lost and it would be good to "pack" (really ought to have done it this afternoon, but lazy/didn't want to think about it) before it is definitely too late to rush out for extra supplies.

2013 Having beer on hostel terrace. Guide came to room earlier and said we will meet 615. He seemed oddly "oh, if you think that's enough" when I said I had bought three of those hydration sachets and equally when I said I had 7 bananas and two packets of peanuts (pretty big ones btw, maybe he thinks tiny) for the walk out and (it turns out) the walk back, tho we will breakfast at finca on last day and yes it's a long walk but apparently if we do well we will be back at middayish and if we do ok it will be 2-3 and how much does he really think i eat? Anyway, I saw him in kitchen when getting my beer out of fridge and he seemed more cheerful. Toyed with dashing out to try to buy more food but the reality is I didn't buy more cos I don't want the weight.

My clothes from line are still not dry. I've taken them into room now. Because they are still not dry I have not absolutely finished packing but figured I'd have this beer anyway.

I have booked Sun night at the hostel with dorm as for Sat. I may risk booking the hostel private in Bog Mon/Tue without getting answer to question re luggage storage, I suspect worst case I could trog over to another hostel and eg book a night I am not going to use just to get bag storage or just offer to pay them, and I suspect the storage fee is not going to be huge.

Feel a bit on edge but it should be fine.

Definitely getting a bit of that end of trip funk. I still have over a week until I fly and I need to make the most of it. And I kind of am, and esp if we can get back middayish on Sat and I am only moderately knackered and can have a shower etc i can spend Sat afternoon/evening and Sun except with minor worries about getting up super early for bus on Mon bumming around Salento and drinking coffee and having a few beers and eating pastries and feeling relatively relaxed and maybe getting a pizza and/or a curry if Ewhatsit is open.

Definitely a bit of a moody whiny bitch earlier, and tho mostly to self it did come out a bit in call to parents.

I am gonna wear today's clothes inc uw again tomorrow, they didn't get excessive wear today. And I am gonna take two more tops and two sets uw and my plan will be to change when we get to the base (finca) every evening and I can (presumably) have a shower. I am only taking this one pair of trousers, I will leave the completely clean pair here so I can change into them post hike once I get to new hostel. I then won't strictly need to wash them before I get home, but I may wash the hike pair either at dorm hostel or Bogota hostel so I have a compeltely clean pair for the final day and the flight home (tho by end of day hanging around before flight I am not gonna be super fresh).

I may take the slightly damp clothes with me if I can, though one is short sleeved so maybe not. That will at least reduce scope for mustiness in bag stored here.

Will shave tonight and not gonna taking shaving stuff. Weight is tiny but straw weighs heavy etc. I didn't shave during the SBA thing and it was fine, I wouldn't expect to be getting into serious itchiness (it isn't normally *that* big a deal anyway) during this hike.

It isn't new but the long USB C charger cable (I hope) is getting a bit unreliable. (I hope it isn't the phone(s).) It is probably going to be just about OK for the rest of the trip anyway, and I do at a push (if it is the cable) have the short one. Plan for hike is to do my level best to ensure power bank and O6 full by morning, leave K1 here and put O6 in aeroplane mode with battery saver and use it lightly as a camera and GPS logger. I *will* take the USB charger and the long cable as there just might be power at the finca. No one has told me and I didn't (perhaps should have) asked. Actually you know I might not take them - straw etc, and in reality the power bank should last for two full charges of O6 in the hopefully unlikely event it does drain badly.

Told at "breakfast" the black and white cat here (have photo) is male and called Simon (pron Spanish style). It let me stroke it again quite nicely. There is also a black-ish cat which I only saw tonight after dark and have a v poor photo of. Stroked it v briefly.

If I remember I will put the UK SIM in the O6 as second SIM instead of leaving it in the K1 as normal.

I can just about hear the music guy playing guitar and singing at "last night's" bar from here. Not really relaxing with this beer (packing worries I guess) but it's fine. Trek will be a couple of days off the beer and then I will indulge moderately on the remaining days of trip, modulo getting up etc concerns.

I do want to go to bed earlyish but there is no point going insanely early as I just won't sleep.

2048 Fuckadoodlewank. Power cut.

I just finished shaving and (nothing to do with power cut) the probably better of my two razor heads leaped off the handle and dived into the bin full of dirty toilet paper. Small consolation that at least it wasn't brand new. Had to shave with the probably older one.

FFS, I guess I'm gonna have to try packing by torchlight. I also really really need to be charging O6 and power bank so I hope this comes back soon.

2118 This bites - O6 is at 30% ish and I have no guarantee the unreliable charging cable will "just work" when/if power comes back on, and I haven't booked Bogota hostel and wifi is down and rather not touch O6 - but I just have to make the best of it. Loads of stuff (damp clothes, toiletries) I need to pack (in either bag to take or bag to leave) in morning. I am going to go to bed and (I think) the light switches are still on so if/when power comes back it might wake me and I can maybe do some stuff then (eg, despite minor uncertainty, book Bogota hostel).

I don't feel tired but maybe a tiny bit and going to bed is probably best of a poor set of options.

2126 In bed.

2128 Power just came on. O6 seems to be charging so won't touch it.

I think the main thing to maybe do is book the Bogota hostel. Let me have a poke and maybe be bold.

2149 OK, booked for a double with shared bathroom in a hostel in Chapineiro - the point being it's probably safe to go out at night (with caution) if I want to and/or if I am arriving after dark despite my best efforts. Maybe it will be sociable but obviously no guarantees. It is close-ish to a TM stop which given poor connection of main bus terminal to TM may be of no use on arrival but should help with getting to airport and may also be of use if I want to eg pop down to LC during the day.

Let's go back to bed. O6 is prob charging tho still only at 42%. Luckily power bank is pretty much if not perfectly full.

I haven't put UK SIM in O6; this isn't just laziness, it isn't critical (and if I did - touch wood - get some iffy id theft type texts, what am I going to do without wifi or mobile data etc? and I am "only" away two nights) and I'd rather not have both sims in the one phone in case it gets lost.

Thunder rumbling etc. Meh, can't do anything about it. Will send this now and go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment