Wednesday 18 November 2009

Vague plans

While I am still waiting to arrange another survey by a second removal company and I haven't yet visited Trailfinders to see what they can do for me in terms of flexible flights, my plans are forming a little more in my head.

I had been thinking of Chile as my primary, or at least initial, destination. My Spanish teacher has advised me, among other things, that a flight to Chile will be insanely long and that if I'm planning on visiting a few countries in Latin America during my trip, I should maybe stop off somewhere else first.

I've had the idea of visiting Oaxaca in southern Mexico in mind for a few years anyway. So I am quite tempted to fly into Mexico City, spend a few days there being mugged at gunpoint or short-term kidnapped, then go out to Oaxaca for a month (there's at least one Spanish school chain I've studied with before out there, although I don't know if they'll be able to offer the accommodation I want) and then go on to Chile from there.

The timing seems good. It will be mid-winter in Oaxaca if I follow this plan, so I'd hope it won't be insanely hot and the spiders will be relatively dormant. Then after a month there it will still be late summer in the southern hemisphere so I can enjoy a pleasant climate in southern Chile (I hope to visit Tierra del Fuego, for a start). Then after a bit of travel around Chile, it should be getting on for Southern hemisphere autumn and I can visit Buenos Aires when it isn't too insanely hot there. (Another recommendation from my Spanish teacher, both in terms of having a good time and weather - he says it gets up to 40C in summer, i.e. January.)

I'm sure none of these plans will be realised, life being what it is, but that's how I'm seeing things right now.

2 comments:

  1. Just an idea... you know that from Chile you can get a flight to Rapa Nui (Easter Island)? I think it's supposed to be one of the remotest places on Earth. 6000 people or summink and a 4hr flight to the nearest Pizza Hut. That would be hardcore travelling.

    I can see your tutor's point that it's pointless double-backing on yourself wrt Chile flight - I think the reason why it takes so long is that you have to sort of "move like a knight" and bob over the caribbean or change flight in US.

    I don't know though - never been so adventurous as to stray to South America. I've got a mate that's going to do it, and I'm following his blog, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, my first real comment. Cheers Rab!

    I did see the arrow pointing west from Chile on the back of a guide book. "Easter Island, 6000 miles" :-) Rapa Nui sounds quite tempting, and I can tell people on the island your she-went-of-her-own-accord joke. :-)

    ReplyDelete