Sunday 29 November 2009

Worrying advice

I'm a fool. I thought I'd be smart and read the Foreign & Commonwealth Office advisories on the countries I'm thinking of going to. So now I expect to catch malaria by being bitten by a rabid express kidnapper posing as a bogus taxi driver the minute I step out of the airport. Sigh.

I take some comfort from the fact that the advisory for Spain makes it look nearly as bad, and I wouldn't really think twice about going there.

"The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions." -- Alfred Adler

2 comments:

  1. When I first travelled to Romania, before I got married to my (now) Romanian wife (she was always Romanian, I mean she's now my wife) I looked up the foreign office's travel advice.

    I think it said something like "All UK nationals are strongly advised against anything except necessary travel to Romania".

    For the first month I never slept; constantly vigilant for any proximity indication from gypseys, bear baiters, rabid animals, ferral pack dogs, ferral street kids, malarial mosquitos, ebola-infected monkeys and white slavers.

    (Although in hindsight the latter worries, rather than being entirely the fault of the FO, could have been down to watching "Outbreak" and "Mad Max III: Return to the Thunderdome" before travelling).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Rab, although I note you don't say you *didn't* suffer from any of those risks. I think it's implied though. :-)

    Odd how you can't say "before I married my Romanian (now) wife", which seems like it should be the right way to do it but doesn't sound right...

    Steve

    ReplyDelete