Monday 31 May 2010

Bus Palenque-Oaxaca City

19:30. Villahermosa. They are at least making announcements. My feet hurt, I don't know what it is about bus seats that this happens. Driver just said we have ten minutes if we want to get off. I won't. I am not that hungry and I'm broke in the practical sense I have about 6 pesos in change and 200 peso notes, which I suspect are not acceptable at any bus terminal shop.

I am wondering if I should get off and try to buy food. But I am not really hungry. No, I'm not going. Maybe the next time we stop. I can always get breakfast in Oaxaca City as I don't have any obvious places to hare off to when I drop my bags off at the hostel, unlike Palenque.

Oaxaca City appears to be referred to as Oaxaca de Juarez or just Oaxaca. At least I hope those are all the same place.

20:05. Man, the Waterloo bit of Les Miserables is tedious. Mind you, it's hard to concentrate anyway which listening to:
- the compulsory film soundtrack
- the bus radio
- a fuckwit noisily sucking at a lollipop opposite
- at least two women gabbling loudly on their mobile phones
all at the same time.

There is no fucking excuse for having the bus radio on at the same time as the film soundtrack, and lollipop boy should just be taken out and shot.

I don't fucking believe it. Lollipop boy just shifted to the rightmost seat in his double so he is now sucking practically in my fucking ear.

(He's not a boy, to be overly precise. Middle-aged-ish chap I think. Certainly an adult. And equally certainly a cunt.)

It's not going to help me concentrate on the book but I can't fucking take any more. I am going to have to put my headphones in and crank some music up painfully loud.

22:10. Coatzalcoatlos (sp?). Skimming the Waterloo section as fast as I can but even so it's trying my patience.

Driver has got off for a fag but didn't say how long we have. There is a small kiosk (non self service) just in front of the bus but I am still not really hungry, I don't want crisps or biscuits and I don't see any sandwiches or have any confidence the attendant would be willing to locate something without mayonnaise anyway. Even assuming they would break a 200.

08:34. At some cafe having breakfast. Bus got in about 7:45. Taxi to hostel no big deal tho they moved last September (as I found out later) and so I had to show the taxi driver the correct address. Hostel or hostelworld has screwed up and shifted my booking one day later (I logged onto Google Mail to show the confirmation saying I had booked starting today). They are giving me a dorm to myself tonight and then I will get the room I booked tomorrow, so no problem. Left bags with them til I can check in.

(I might have stayed in a regular shared dorm had they asked, but I would have wanted money back.)

Quite cool to be walking the streets in the morning when it's quietish. I do like mornings, I just don't like waking up to them. :-) Didn't sleep well on the bus but better than usual.

Getting a bit of a Count of Monte Cristo vibe from Les Miserables. I doubt it will stretch to graphic revenge but I live in hope. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment