Tuesday 18 May 2010

Weird USB pen drive shit

I should be going to bed but I'm not. I just plugged the USB pen drive in to put some photos on following the apparent loss earlier and it seems all the files are still on there. Yet as previously blogged the guy at the clueful internet cafe clearly wasn't a fool and I saw some files I knew were on there (eg the Word document I was forced to create to print my flight e-ticket for today), just not the photos. This makes no sense.

I must say the drive has/had all these weird directory name + ".exe" folders on when I looked at it in Fop@Net, even if they are not there now, but just now there was a bit of random crap which has come from nowhere. I wonder if some freaky virus got on there in some random net cafe. It is all deeply unsatisfactory. But at least it doesn't look liked I "moved" the files earlier, which I did find implausible.

I have deleted the random looking shit which has obviously been dumped on there by some net cafe system and will see if I can have another go tomorrow. I won't blame this on Windows as such (I know enough to know Windows would not randomly create those existing-folder-plus-".exe" folders, or hide content which is clearly on there), but I will blame it on random net cafes and their wanky possibly virus-ridden systems. I do stick by my plan to burn my own DVDs on a subsequent trip, this is all just too much fucking hassle.

1 comment:

  1. As requested here is technical related comment.

    The directories could well have been created by a virus on some internet café doodah - but then it could have been some benign albeit very strange utility.

    Rationale here is why would the virus *want* to create all these directories? It wouldn't help propegate itself, unless it either stores an autorun.inf in the root of the drive, or just relies on the user to start an exe which was hidden in the folder... in which case how the user is supposed to see the infected file to run it on a currently-uninfected-but-candidate-pc i don't know.

    One consideration on the front of photographs; why burn your own DVDs? How many photos are you taking? I know a large CF card (32GB? it was quite a while ago, maybe just 8?) lasted us 2 weeks in Kenya. Or 524 8-megapixel photographs in uncompressed RAW format. I reckon £100 of these in nowadays' prices would see you sweet... ditch the laptop or any need for DVD media/burning facilities etc.

    Rab

    ReplyDelete