Sunday 6 June 2010

Oaxaca City, Saturday

11:15. Despite alarm going off about 10:30, I somehow managed to miss it later and woke up by sort of chance at 10:57. Legged it round and left the room about 11:13. Guy from reception noticed me and said my new room was already clean, so I am in now. He said it was free last night. Sort of wish I could have moved yesterday after school then, which would have avoided the need to be up this morning. It is a tiny bit more expensive though.

Odd that a double bed costs more than a twin, and even odder when you consider I actually had a triple to myself for the price of a double. Also odd that there is a set of lockers in the corner. I might have naively assumed if you're sharing a double bed with someone there is enough trust for that not to be necessary. :-)

I suppose it's the hostel equivalent of the hotel room safe though. (The analogy stretches up to and including 'a good idea but not always provided'.)

Was going to leg it off to Monte Alban and I guess I am still going to go, but will stupidly loiter here a few minutes first to relax after my rushing around since waking up.

19:30. Sigh. I just slept all day dressed on top of the bed. I did at least sort of half choose to do it rather than completely drift off by accident. Got up (though I was just dozing the last hour or two) about 6:30, managed to pick my laundry up and now at some just about acceptable restaurant on the southern bit of Alcala where it may not yet be called Alcala. Having a tasajo somethink which I hope will be like the one I had the other night, i.e. edible.

Was vaguely planning to stay in tonight but it's Saturday and since I had to come out for food anyway... I don't plan to be out late given the 9:40am pickup tomorrow but I also doubt I'll get to sleep that early after today. (Though maybe that just makes up for having been a bit short on sleep every day due to not going to bed that early and being up for the classes at 9.)

I might just go sit at a bar in the Zocalo but I think I will take a look at those bars last night which were too busy for me to try then.

20:10. Down at one of those bars. Fairly full (and small), perched at bar. Doorman (or just some guy loitering there) seriously goth. I wondered if it was going to be totally inappropriate for me, but the clientele aren't made up. I feel a bit conspicuous but we'll see. At least I came in. Almost too cheap at MXN15 a beer.

Place might be called Kabbalah but I could be wrong.

It occurs to me, reading the Mexico book, that it might be cool to do a complete coast-coast trip across the country. I started the overland portion in Cancun on the east coast and I am already half planning to go to Guadalajara via Guanajuato, which would get me to within a couple of hundred miles of the coast I think, possibly less. This may not happen but I note the thought down.

20:50. Developed a bit of a jitter in the last ten mins or so. Not sure why. Maybe a slight burst of concentrated homesickness, though that's not quite it. Odd as I am feeling less conspicuous here now, though still a little bit.

21:15. FWIW, the meal earlier was OK. Half decent thin steak, some mercifully warm frijoles negros in a sort of bowl made of a tortilla, rice and some sort of pastry covered in mole (I know there are different kinds of mole, but this seemed the sort I have encountered before - dark and sort of chocolatey.) Guacamole served only in a separate dish, yay!

21:55. Music quite good here. 'Another Brick In The Wall (part 2)' (clearly a cover, but not a bad one) just coming on, bit of Judas Priest earlier. I quite like the place, it's down at heel without being too threatening.

22:10. Fairly heaving now. Lots of people stood around. The place is tiny. I suspect I will leave when my bladder gives out (though it's OK now) as I won't have a seat after that and am not sure I'd feel comfortable standing around on my own. We shall see anyway.

There is a guy sat next to me at the bar. I have a horrible feeling he may try to talk to me. In some sense that would be cool but I am not sure I am up to it. It's moderately noisy and my confidence in my Spanish has taken serious knocks (not that it was that high anyway) from being back at school.

23:05. We just had a Spanish cover of 'Under pressure'. Ordered a michelada. Comes in an enormous glass but I saw the guy make it and it only contains one regular bottle of beer. Probably due to the enormous quanity of ice. Bit watery but OK.

Wow, we seem to have a live band on now. There is a tiny stage in the corner.

Man, first song is 'borracho y loco'... :-)

23:15. Place is heaving. I honestly think the entire bar is about the size of the living room in my old flat in Oval. Certainly approximately.

23:40. Maybe twice the size. Dunno. Excellent cover of 'Breaking the law' just then. Bladder holding out, if the band is on I may stay and stand once I am forced to give up my seat.

00:50. Just went for piss, wasn't busting. Seat amazingly still free on my return. Real fight through the crowd stuff getting there & back. Was feeling I might leave as the fun seemed to be draining away but post-piss feel like staying. Plus how can I ignore such a positive sign as my seat still being free? :-)

01:00. Short weight on this michelada as I saw the guy pour it from a litre bottle of Indio and it ran out just short of the top. Oh well.

"Seek and destroy" now...

Decor here is vaguely druidical. Two walls have sort of tree-ish god type chaps painted on, the nearest has a dryad (I think that's the right word, a naked leafy tree chick) on. Odd.

01:20. Band just went off. They'd been on for a while so fair play. Oh, an encore. I don't know if they are finishing after this but although I am slightly tempted to stay it is somehow not as fun as it was (I feel very sober somehow though) so given the tour tomorrow I will probably go when they finish. Given it seems like an encore I might expect they won't come back on anyway.

01:30. Just left. Band still on but it seemed time to go. Not a bad night all in though. I do feel almost ridiculously sober somehow. Not that I drank an insane amount - about 9 bottles - so I suppose it's not too surprising. I suspect earlier I confused fullish bladder feelings with being a bit drunk. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment