Friday 4 June 2010

Oaxaca City, Thursday

20:05. At some restaurant (Casa Mayordomo) near Santo Domingo. Teacher described the area as having lots of bars. I beg to differ. I eventually found the one he recommended after doing a web search for the address, it was above a jewellery shop. I popped up and it didn't particularly appeal and didn't do any decent food so I left to come here. I may go back after eating. I suspect I am partly hacked off due to lack of food.

Tried some hostel recommended by the teacher after classes. No room tomorrow at least. Extended at my current hostel up to and including next Fri. Have to change rooms twice in that time but sod it. Slowly did homework and by then it was 5pm and I just didn't feel up to trekking over here to see the museum (no sign of the damn thing tonight anyway) for a few hours so I surfed on the terrace a bit then came out about 7/7:30.

Feeling a bit shit. I've spent a huge amount of money on the trip and I'm wondering if I've been a bit of a twat doing it.

20:40. Down some narrow bar which may be called Nude but is far from clear. It sucks a little bit but sod it. I am sat at the bar feeling a little conspicuous (it's fairly busy) solely because the tables are ultra low and have those flashy yet deeply uncomfortable cuboidal fake leather lumps round them to serve as seats.

20:50. Not sure if I should stay here or try to find somewhere else. (It's 'virtual' 21:50 as classes start at 8am tomorrow.) Feel a real lemon sat here at the bar, feels very conspicuous. No interest in (nor any likelihood of) meeting anyone, as I say I am only here as the tables suck. The bar is a bit too high for the stool though. (Yeah I'm short, but my legs are out of the picture here.)

Music OK if not great. ("Caught in a bad romance" song on now, as an attempt at describing the style.) The place said 'cantina' outside I think & I was advised not to go into those by the teacher (and implicitly by the guide book, though it never says it outright). I don't think this is a 'proper' cantina though, it's slightly wankily flash (eg the stupid low tables, laser disco-type lighting), so I suspect it's OK. I do have a sneaking suspicion I am the only tourist in here though.

Just noticed the cardboard boxes of Corona stacked behind the bar say 'imported from Mexico' on them (in English). How exotic! :-) Bit odd somehow.

Oh, this appears to be a UK style non-waiter service-at-the-bar place.

No, I am struggling to make eye contact with the bar staff and people who are clearly waiters keep coming up.

21:20. Still here. Some cunt was trying to take a group photo just behind me and kept banging into me without either apologising or asking me to move.

The whole place seems physically uncomfortable. You either get major spinal curvature hunching at the tables or sit at the bar with your arms held too high up. Despite that, I might stay a bit longer, then if I spot somewhere else nearby which looks any good I will go there otherwise go home.

22:00. Live band just started on some sort of first floor stage. Not brilliant but OK. Doesn't alter the height of the bar, tables or stools of course. :-)

The singer is apparently texting away during an instrumental part of the song.

22:30. Maybe it's the sweet brown liquor but the atmosphere feels nicer with the live band. I won't say I'm having a great time but 'not bad' is a step up from earlier. They did a cover of a song I've heard before earlier about "borracho y loco". Also some probably Mana song the band covered in the bar last night.

23:00. Band stopped, probably on a break. I got another beer even though it's virtual midnight.

Oh no, looks like they are packing up. Seems slightly odd but maybe I am wrong. I may not stay out to see, though but for the 8am class I would probably stay anyway. We will see. I was five mins late today due to stupidly surfing a little bit when I got back last night and thus not getting to bed that early and pushing it a bit stupidly for an extra 5 mins in bed this morning.

No, band very clearly packing up. Music in bar stopped for a few seconds a minute ago. I can hardly believe they are shutting but there is a decided exodus. I may be stuck as the last one here. Frankly surprised.

23:20. Seen someone get served and a few people seem to be drifting in. I suspect they are not closing and that was the post-band exodus. I am not staying of course. It's not that great - especially without the band - and of course I have an early start tomorrow. Nearly finished this beer and will leave in a minute.

Just left. I think the 'cantina' was next door, though looking in it is probably not a 'risky' low-end job (quite a few people in there).

No comments:

Post a Comment