Monday 12 February 2024

Boquete, Sunday

Sun 11th 1015

1029 Score. I made an effort to chat with couple of women at table after one asked about coffee and mentioned it to them and a guy came over - Andy (aka Adrian, but Andy I think is usual nickname) - having heard me and we are on for tonight. Bit worried he is super fit, we have some Swiss girl coming with us as well I think, dunno about her (she's at the Selina). But still, can only do my best.

He did Lost City trek (prob recently but not sure) and said it wasn't that hard.

So I will be trying to take it easy today and fretting a bit :-) and prob try (without much hope) to sleep a bit this afternoon. Did go to bed midnightish due to chatting with Bruce and despite waking up a bit in night I kind of properly woke up 9ish so my sleep cycle is at least a little shifted round. Just have to be optimistic.

Those two women are doing pipeline trail today, apparently you get a bus there and it's fairly easy and you have a chance of seeing quetzals. Talk of those dutch women who got lost in 2014ish on pianist trail. I am unlikely to try to do that, guide or no guide, this time round - if, fingers crossed, I can do the volcano tonight, have an easyish day tomorrow (maybe walk up to mirador went to yday and/or the ecopark, or maybe nothing) and do the pipeline trail the day after I think I'll have got value out of my time here in Boq and can move on and leave other stuff for a possible revisit in the future. (Just possible that depending on timescales and how much I like BdT etc that I would come back through Boq and do something else, tho I suspect I wouldn't on grounds I could equally visit David or something with that time.)

I checked forecast for Baru and it looks pretty good - even with (presumably wind) chill it is predicting 9C min at the summit or something like that.

1140 OK, we went to reception and booked shuttle (USD8 each) which will pick us up between 11 and 1130. The Swiss girl is apparently sick so unless anyone else expresses an interest it will just be me and Andy. I was at least able to be useful speaking Spanish to the receptionist - the one I spoke to yday morning - who (I did ask, so as not to be rudely translating stuff she already understood) I don't think speaks English. And I guess if it is just the two of us I am more "valuable" since I assume Andy would prefer not to go alone.

Gonna put K1 to charge in locker and check all my gear before maybe going out for lunch or something.

1534 Went out for lunch, bought some bread rolls and ham at Super Baru, been chatting with Bruce. Feel very slightly kinda tired so going to lie down for a bit. Not made sandwiches yet, would have been good to get it done but I also don't want them going stale. (I got rolls - hamburger buns actually - as I figured they might be a bit more "robust" against squashing in my bag. I also got some clean fresh ziploc type bags - too big, but they were the cheapest and wuill be fine.)

1545 In bed. Can't hurt I guess.

1927 Been lying in bed. Yawned a bit. Pretty sure I haven't slept. But I guess it's rest and my legs haven't been having to support me etc. I vaguely intend to try to stay here til 8 tho feeling tempted to get up. I have maybe 30 mins tops of chores to do (make and bag sandwiches, collect laundry, tweak daypack contents, shower, shave, etc) but I'm still feeling vaguely rushed.

If I remember I will send this before I go. Not taking K1 with me and this is on Dropbox so shouldn't lose it but might as well.

OK, I need another piss (already been down once since coming to bed) and it's 1930 so sod it, I will get up.

2113 On empty outside terrace. Knees itching, FFS. Done chores. Had chat with Bruce, Andy came by and we had a brief chat, he's gone to sleep for a couple of hours. Having a coffee, though want to be careful not to dehydrate myself.

Gonna double check my gear 2230ish. Backpack is slightly heavier and fuller than I'd like but most of the weight is 2x1l water and 2x600ml energy drinks (with caffeine).

Andy says it's gonna be windy and 6C, the mountain-forecast.com one still looks like it did earlier and says light winds and min 8C. It is what it is I guess.

I am loath to take the extra weight but given it's hours of walking in dark, despite having tested battery in torch and the spare back home I am also gonna take the powerbank with the torch head as a backup. Given I am taking the powerbank I've also added the short USB cable so I can top up phone in an emergency.

I was going to take my viscose towel but I think I won't, bag is bulky enough as it is. I have enough layers of one kind or another. I'm wearing the thick Quechua socks and have one of the bamboo pairs as a spare; I'm also thinking they might make mittens on top of the gloves at a push. Taking the bandanna (as well as Acatenenago beanie hat and gloves), I figure it may come in generally handy as an extra layer in a pinch and my initial thinking is if I do use it it might make a kind of scarf.

Fingers crossed the bag holds out physically. I do have a sturdyish carrier bag as a fallback.

I am gonna take 600mg ibuprofen in an hour or so and am taking the packet with me and if I feel I need it I may take another dose after 8h. This may or may not protect against altitude sickness but is unlikely to do any harm.

Made 4 burger bun "ham rolls" and put them in pairs in the sealable freezer bags. I also have three modestly sized bananas, the energy drinks already mentioned and 2x180g?? (maybe 80g, can't remember) mani garapinado. I also had a fairly substantial lunch and I really don't think food is going to be a major concern. Not taking the fruit & nuts I brought from home.

Dunno if the rolls are "smart" but Juan mentioned him and the girls taking sandwiches and I think they'll be OK.

I am a bit nervous but just need to keep slogging away and remind myself I am lucky to have found someone to go with. Of course it's quite possible the shuttle will have other people on and we'll all end up going up more or less together.

Wearing red ss shirt out here, gonna wear the (mildly sweat-dirty but not massively so) swedisk blue ss top over it, then fleece, and I have the rain jacket in bag as a fourth layer, likewise have overtrousers in bag as a second layer for legs in a pinch.

FWIW I am not feeling cold sitting out here (there's a roof but it is otherwise outside) in just ss top.

Tempted to eat the cinnamon bun and/or queque I brought with me on the bus but don't think this sort of thing is massively helpful, I don't need them with me given other supplies and I can always snack on them when I get back. Cleaned teeth and flossed as I won't be doing it tonight. Oh, and I remembered to do Duolingo while "resting" so I at least won't lose one of my precious 5 streak freezes which I am hoping will see me through the boat trip.

2130 There is a cat here, a mostly black one with white bits. First time I've seen any cat, despite the prominent "don't feed the cats" signs.

2133 Think forgot to say earlier I have at least lightened my bag for hike slightly by filling the (pretty much empty, short of real faffing - I used last bits for incomplete application this morning) 50ml bottle - not to brim either, maybe half full - and am taking that with me (for down hike) rather than the relatively large and heavier 180ml-ish tube (though it's far from full).

Did see "max strength" 25% DEET in Baru supermarket other day, still too weak really but worth nothing.

Miscellaneous minor itches (mainly knees, also head a bit, prob due to scratching at that not-massive-deal sunburn above eyebrows) but I guess it's mostly nerves and nothing major.

Andy is checking out tomorrow (so I guess we hope to be back by 11 - incidentally don't know where I got idea we'd be back 7 from, sunrise not til 0645), then getting four buses (to David, Santiago, Sona and Santa Catalina) - he obviously has more endurance and/or bravery than me, as with all those changes he is not going to get much sleep or is going to miss something.

Dunno if I will sleep on returning or if I'll try to stay up til 8-9pm. See how I feel. Depending on feelings I may try to do some hand washing tomorrow to give uw time to dry before I leave - I took my other washing up tonight btw, mildly selfish to leave it taking space on line but not a big deal I guess. I just may also go to Boquete Beer Company and have a couple of pints of their craft beers tomorrow afternoon/evening depending how it goes.

I vaguely hope to do Pipeline hike on Tuesday before moving on on Wed but we'll see. It is also vaguely tempting to add one more day here but it's probably smarter not too, esp if I may (need to look into it all, eg maybe tomorrow while having slack day trying to stay away) want to try lost+found before going on to BdT. If I *don't* do Pipeline it isn't end of world. Haven't seen those two girls from this morning around FWIW.

I've left my loose change in the dorm locker, there isn't a lot but enough and I figure I don't need this bouncing around in my pocket on the hike. I am taking my actual passport, woman at reception said I don't need it and I am sure she's right but Andy is taking his and even without that I'd hate some random jobsworth to ask for this and ruin the trip.

Just finished (smallish styrofoam) cup of coffee. I may have another, but I may wait a few mins first.

I am using the "dirty" (ie worn today and iirc yesterday evening) swedish blue top as my second layer as while probably just about as breathable i think it is slightly thicker and warmer (not always a good thing when it's hot, of course) than the RS ones. Also the colour (insofar as it won't just be under fleece anyway) may be better for not radiating body heat out or absorbing loads of solar heat tomorrow morning.

Sod it, I'm gonna have another coffee now, then whatever water it does dehydrate me of can at least be pissed into hostel toilet. I've had a few small-medium shits during the day so I'm moderately optimistic I won't either suffer or need to go at the side of the trail or whatever. Fingers crossed.

2154 If I didn't say earlier I cut my fingernails sneakily in bathroom before going out for food. My toenails are probably past due but they're not causing me any problems and it felt stupid to go cutting them and risking creating some kind of annoyance or worse just before this hike.

I'm not nervous nervous but the hanging round is a bit annoying. Teeth feel vaguely furry (which can only really be due to coffee, which has no milk or sugar, since I cleaned them a bit ago) and I just may give them a quick scrub before going out. I may also drink some of my 2l of water given I do have those energy drinks and it would reduce weight I have to carry and presumably reduce the risks of the bag deciding I've over-strained it.

Am taking prescription sunglasses (in bubble wrap in fleece inside pocket) as IIRC one web account of the hike (or was it Juan?) suggested this is helpful for the descent. They may get broken or I may not used them, but fingers crossed, and there's no point having them if I never use them at all (as I more or less don't, though IIRC I did think I ought to have worn them to Estero beach to swim, though not in the water of course).

Toyed with taking toothbrush with me but I'm not. After all, it's not that much different than the gap between cleaning teeth in morning and evening.

2201 Just yawned. Not super encouraging. ;-)

I am taking my regular baseball cap, though I will probably not wear it tonight. I dunno if it would even fit on top of beanie. But I figure the brim may be helpful wrt glare and sunburn for the down bit in daylight.

2205 Depending how quick we go and so forth, there is prospect of some chilly-ish hanging around below "true" summit waiting for dawn. So it may be a blessing if shuttle turns up nearer 2330 than 2300. But whatever happens I guess it will be fine.

I must say - I still haven't checked old blog - I am vaguely tempted to go to lost+found if I can get in just because I have vague feelings Past Steve - despite being scarcely significantly older than everyone else in hindsight - felt bitterly unable to go there (perhaps down to dorms, perhaps spiders, perhaps other stuff) and it might be sort of cool to go just on pseudo-closure-ish grounds. But I will read about it first, it's not like this is or has been a festering mental wound even if my vague recollections are correct, and if it's shit or expensive I don't need to burn valuable time on it for no reason. Or I could maybe go straight to BdT then if I don't want to stay too long in BdT I could go to L+F on way back (I have no idea what the practical routes are in/out of BdT, except the David-Boquete-L+F-BDT route).

Apart from one guy on his own on phone (on a call) in corner there is no one else out here at all. Seems very random whether or not people are around here - every night seems to have felt a bit different so far.

Just rambling, shower here is suicide shower, but IIRC last few places (poss inc PC) have just had "cold" (tho prob 20Cish in practice) water showers with no heating, but then they've all been so warm after a second or two's semi-pleasant mild shock this is not any kind of real hardship or test of character or whatever.

FWIW am wearing blue trousers tonight, had these on for a good few days now so I will probably wash them whenever I do do my hand wash here and switch to the clean black pair tomorrow. I really am just waffling to fill time.

2213 Coffee almost gone. I may send this now as once I start faffing and/or if Andy has finished his nap or if I get talking to Bruce again I may not have chance to send it, and then I can stash this phone in locker.

No comments:

Post a Comment