Saturday 24 February 2024

Old Bank, Friday

Fri 23rd 0956 On lower terrace. Been chatting with Liam, he made me a coffee with ghis travel aeropress. (I am not interested in travelling with one, looks a bit bulky for my tastes, but I may consider getting a full size one for home as it may be way less messy than a cafetiere.)

Didn't sleep v well, pretty sure aircon wasn't on - this never got discussed and I don't know if we were in an Abilene paradox situation but anyway it wasn't.

Given him some tenacious tape (I offered yday during walk) to mend a small tear in his soft lifestraw bottle thing - he says he squeezed a bit hard and is going to get on to them and prob be repaired under guarantee, the fact this happens puts me off the idea of buying one a bit but I will still probably get one. (But not until I'm

1010 Bit of chat with woman of couple off snorkelling today.

... about to travel again, so the guarantee period isn't ticking away unused.)

My shoes are not fully dry, I've put them on railing (there is roof of this lower terrave below) and tied the laces round some wooden struts for support. I just may wear them slightly damp to go out and walk to Red Frog and onwards today, I might take flip flops in bag and put them on if it's muddy but not rocky. I suppose I might also wear my swimming trunks as shorts so I don't muck up another pair of trousers. (The ones I washed are more or less dry after their overnight buttoned to the washing line, I've dumped them on bed in dorm.)

Bit edgy about safety but beyond guide book no one has said anything bad. It would suck to be mugged and lose my phone (O6) and 40-50 dollars (I guess if I'm wearing "shorts" and thus no belt I'll leave my flip belt in dorm locker) - especially the phone - and the peace of mind issues but it would not of course be the end of the world and it isn't (touch wood) likely.

1029 Gonna do my beach chain, gonna walk over to Red Frog with Liam (he's going to his hostel there) and then go on solo.

1752 Been back maybe an hour. Have had shower and shaved and put trousers back on (went out in trunks as shorts). Eating some coconut biscuits on terrace, will go out to try that chicken place from yday again soon but prob not open yet.

We got a bit lost of walk between wizard and red frog but sort of fun and we cracked it in end. Flip-flopped a bit but pretty much decided I was getting boat back. We went to Liam's new hostel (Palmar - fairly fancy) and then he walked up to Polo beach with me. We had a brief chat with Polo himself (who was gutting fish) - the guy who has lived there for 60ish years and apparently sold some property for a million USD then spent it all - and I had a 15m swim while Liam watched my stuff and then he went in.

Return boat situation confusing as fuck not helped by helpful-but-confusing woman at Palmar reception who eg would sell me a ticket for a boat leaving "now" for USD6 but I had to walk 15m via an unclear path to get it but I had to pay her there. I said bye to Liam (maybe 430ish) and trogged off to find one of the two docks on map (heading for red frog one) chuntering to myself a bit but got a grip and got there. Guy said it would be 7, I asked if waiting for another person would help and he said it would be 7 each anyway and I said (in an odd mood) we could wait a bit anyway as seemed a shame for him to go with just me. Anyway, I had a coconut biscuit and offered him one (which he accepted) to maybe lighten the mood, and after a bit he said let's go buddy and we went straight back to Old Bank (without going via Bocas Town as I think the woman at reception had said) no fuss. Bit annoying to pay 7 not 6 but no big deal.

Starling had sent me a message this morning via their app asking me to confirm when I'd be back in UK. Odd as they say you don't have to tell them when you're abroad, but not really "secret" so I told them roughly when I'd leave Panama and then when I'd return to UK from Colombia. Didn't attach "evidence" as wtf should I, and we'll see what happens.

Liam is renting out his house (with approx 11 years to run on mortgage) while he's on his v approx 18m trip, this doesn't cover travel expenses but covers mortgage etc. And he's paying about 300 for his initial year of travel insurance but got slightly ripped off paying to add Mexico cover.

He said day of dead in Mexico (Oaxaca) was really cool and would be fine to do solo etc. Maybe worth at some point considering a trip to do that in addition to my hopefully regular-ish Jan-Mar trip.

Polo beach not exactly heaving but quite a few people there. Red Frog pretty busy near the resort but pretty quiet elsewhere. Wizard much busier than yday and waves decidedly smaller (as surfer Zoe had told us this morning before we left).

Liam suggested some nearby restaurant just might have live music (it is Friday) but personally I'm dubious, it had mildly pushy touts outside yday afternoon and I'd probably feel uncomfortable worrying that the food would be inedible to me and/or (if I just went for drinks) that I'd be ripped off somehow. Gut feeling is - though TBH a few days off beer before boat trip might not hurt - I'm just gonna go out to the chicken place, eat it on bench outside hostel (the bench I ate on near chicken place with S last night had some youngish guys gabbing away to each other sat opposite us and while they did nothing and "normal" people were walking past I'll be honest I didn't like this group of young men there in case they decided to try fucking with us just to show off to eat other or whatever) and have a few beers and snacks (popped out for some after my post-return beer and before I showered - I had left key in trousers in dorm on purpose and it was locked until I got back from snack shopping) tonight. If anyone eg S seems keen to chat that's fine but otherwise booking David/PC hostel and a bit of YT with beers/snacks on terrace is fine with me.

TBH I may do very little the next two days here - I really don't fancy a tour - but we'll see.

It's probably too early but I just might pop out to the chicken place in a minute.

If I didn't say, on my first abortive visit to chicken place yday evening just before dark some kids seemed to be trying to get some chickens (no idea if cocks; I hastened past) to fight in the main street.

1908 OK, second attempt to visit chicken place it was still shut, went into deserted Bar Rest Danish and asked for menu (all this in Spanish), woman told me what they had, I negotiated for pork with no sauce and chips for USD7 and it was pretty decent, albeit no drink and the salad might have been dressed but if so it was v lightly with prob lemon juice and just maybe vinegar so I did eat it. Also got bit of Spanish practice listening to news on TV alternating with looking out at rather cool view over lake (tho it's right by hostel and view from here on terrace is same).

Had a second beer between abortive chicken visits, gonna have some water and snack on some raisin bread and maybe watch bit of YT now. I booked an extra night at PC hostel between the two chicken attempts and will probably have a look at David hostel in a minute.

2025 In dorm. Aircon on 22C! Yay! Someone in bathroom, it feels a bit weak but I think I'm gonna go clean teeth once they're done and go to bed and maybe watch some YT etc but I do feel a bit tired (had 3 beers I think) and if I fall asleep that's cool.

2129 Reading in bed. Tiredish. Still bit sticky despite ac. Liam sent me photos of today earlier and sent him some back.

No comments:

Post a Comment