Friday 16 February 2024

Hornito, Thursday

Thu 15th 1854 Sitting in inside common area of hostel, fingers are a touch numb from cold.

Not a bad day, tiny bit odd. Struggled to get up a bit but did 9ish. Ended up being invited by Colin (50ish US guy met yday who showed me spiders, speaks n languages) to join him and 22yo Italian guy Francesco for a hike so I seized the moment and did. Oh, it was/is windy and rainy (but the rain is a sort of misty drizzle not a downpour) which I think contributed to my dithering about going out.

We probably hiked a fair portion of the accessible site - I am not quite sure what I will do tomorrow, there is prob more to see - and it was stiffish but not terrible. We went down to the river and tho in reality swimming was not relevant so I could always have done this, I did go into the coldish water with them and it was sort of fun, there was a kind of waterfall and I sat under it for a few secs and felt the currents etc.

Came back and chatted a bit with them and some other guys (who advised booking several days ahead for BdT and that it's quite expensive and v popular - gut feeling is I'll look tomorrow as I can't rule out wanting to extend here) and I cooked and chatted more with Colin/Francesco and C gave me some wine (everyone said it was bad and it was a bit harsh but drinkable and welcome).

Then had shower/bad shave and did some laundry (I asked and they are happy for you to use basins and there is a line out back, tho in hindsight I should maybe have strung my travel line there under cover as I have no pegs) and as he was doing some too chatted some more with F.

Then lay in a hammock near dorm with fleece on and called parents and now hanging round here writing this and warming up. There is apparently bingo in the bar later and I also owe (I think) both of those guys a drink (F bought some cokes when we got back) and of course I like beer anyway. Not sure this won't be naff but OTOH I have been chatting to a few people and don't feel too BNM etc and I should just go with it.

Various people doing a horseriding tour tomorrow but really doesn't appeal to me, not even in a comfort zone pushing way.

Trousers got muddy on hike but I don't want to swap and get the other pair muddy tomorrow even if I can handwash. So I compromised by rinsing them off in shower while wearing them (prob silly) and rubbing them with my damp towel (which I subsequently washed) which I think has helped - they are far from clean, but they don't have that caked appearance esp on back of legs.

1933 FFS, just been to check on washing and I've lost a sock - presumably blown off line. I had a hunt around but it's vegetation central and it's dark and phone torch only goes so far. Maybe I'll be able to see it in daylight.

Had look at booklets re stuff to do, gut feeling is I have seen most of the accessible site (not Tunas cave but even if you can cross the river you prob shouldn't be doing it alone) and I will prob end up getting a local bus somewhere. If I spend one day just bumming around that's fine but I prob shouldn't do two such days.

Pissed off about that sock. Despite being warned I assumed the wind wouldn't be too bad. Can't be helped now and I may be able to see it in daylight. I left uw and towel out as they are pegged/clipped to line but brought remaining 3 socks back and put them in cage (not solid) locker just cos it will give them a chance to dry.

One of guys here is Severin (Austrain guy) who I met on Baru hike, we have chatted a bit (eg just now as I stand here in dorm writing this like a numpty).

1951 Drama! C/F came into dorm, I mentioned sock (in case F picked it up when getting his laundry), they had seen a black sock by the path (F lost his phone earlier, it somehow got blown off where he was and ended up teetering on edge of a precipice). It turned out not to be mine, hopes dashed. However, F presumably went to check his own laundry or to be helpful and he found my sock, safely on the line (where I'd checked several times) wrapped around one of his (which I had checked and which had seen wasn't mine). So left uw and towel out and locked the lost sock up in dorm cage with its friends.

Left pocket zip on black (I think) trousers coming a bit loose. Might have been for a while. It's fine but unless/until I get a private room again I'm reluctant to fiddle with it (which, plus laziness, is why I wasn't on top of it or at least checking it was OK the first time I thought it might be coming a bit loose).

2254 In bar. Bastille "Pompei" on. C/F just gone to bed. Finishing this beer. Bit of hanging round, chatted with C/F as they ate - F is a coastal engineering masters student, learned some surprisingly cool stuff. Then we came to bar, odd atmosphere but first time here (I feel old in a funny way here, whereas in general it's not an issue) and we did the song bingo and played life sized Jenga (triggering memories of Pipeline Liv St or whatever it was called at time) but didn't do the ridiculously extreme sexually forfeits. (If C isn't doing this, it's OTT.)

Prob doing Celestine trip tomorrow (solo) via local bus. Prob not that long but it's fine and I can then cook and book for Bocas etc.

2317 Bed. Incidentally I have 2 more tins luncheon meat but only 1 "veg" , which is screwy and hostel doesn't sell veg tins but I can get by if pushed and may be able to buy a tin on Celestine trip tomorrow (not mega optimistic). Gut feeling is not extending here, it's nice and C/F are cool and may meet other people but it isn't exactly "hang around indefinitely" territory (shopping etc) and I'll have done "enough" by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment