Wednesday 9 December 2009

Brazil and the Falklands

Was talking to a friend last night who has been to Brazil. He says Rio is not very nice, so I am inclined to go to Sao Paolo instead and maybe just pop over to Rio for a couple of days to do the classic tourist stuff (the big statue and Sugarloaf Mountain, I think). Apparently Sao Paolo is the main hub anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem to get flights in or out of there.

Someone else also suggested I should go to the Falklands while I'm out that way. My gut feeling is that it's too awkward to get there and it's probably a bit dull, but I haven't checked either of those statements yet. Unlike the Brazil stuff, this has no bearing on the big picture itinerary.

Still not booked the tickets but I hope to get it done this week.

2 comments:

  1. The Falklands? From what I've heard, there's an army base, a few hundred civilians and a few thousand penguins. I've had mates stationed out there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you saying I should go or not? :-)

    OK, I actually bothered to check the flights. Basically you fly from Punta Arenas in Chile (where I plan to go anyway) to Mount Pleasant in the Falklands. There's one flight a week, which turns around more-or-less as soon as it lands, so you have to stay for a week. And it's about £450 return. (Which seems insanely expensive for a flight time of <2h each way, incidentally.)

    So while it would be nice to say I've been there, I think I'll give it the miss in baulk...

    ReplyDelete