Monday 14 December 2009

Minor details

I bought the travel insurance last night. I felt a bit of a sap since I'm using them for the flights already, but I went with Trailfinders' policy. It was a toss up between them and Direct Travel Insurance, but no one except Trailfinders seems to offer a decent level of cover for airline ticket replacement. Logically they shouldn't need to, but I gather airlines can be quite awkward about issuing replacements for lost tickets so you often just have to buy them again.

I lucked out on the 'minor flu-like symptoms' of the vaccinations, although the the top of my left arm was sore for a bit more than 3 days, so it probably evens out. :-)

Apparently Brazil will insist on seeing the yellow fever vaccination certificate before they let me in. Good job I got it done I guess.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe I should have pointed this out *before* you got the travel insurance covering lost tickets... but you know it's often difficult to lose tickets nowadays? Most airlines only issue "e-tickets" - so you put your biometric passport in the scanner and it checks you in automatically. There's no paper counterpart but the invoice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, of course. I kind of suspected that, but I wasn't sure if the tickets I hadn't bought at the time were also going to be electronic. Oh well, no major harm done - the only other real distinguishing feature between the policies was the limit on valuables, so if I lose my valuables I'm maybe out by about £100 for not taking the other policy. Not the end of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, it occurs to me I'm probably within the 14 day cooling off period and could in theory switch insurer. That somehow seems a bit cheeky/more effort than it's worth. Something to think about until it's too late to do anything, I think.

    ReplyDelete