Thursday 10 December 2009

Linguistic doubts

Feeling a bit worried about how I'll get on in Brazil, I am doubting the 'speak Spanish slowly' plan suggested by my Spanish teacher will pan out that well.

My Spanish isn't great but I know from experience it's good enough for casual tourist stuff at least. This will be the first time I've been to a country where I don't speak the language since I went to Prague over five years ago.

I guess I'll see if I can dig up a few phrases online and maybe even buy a language tape or something. Those things never work that well - you learn what to say, but not to understand what people say to you - but at least it will show willing and hopefully make people a bit more helpful.

At least two weeks in Brazil feeling ultra lost because of language should make things seem more comfortable once I get onto the Spanish-speaking countries. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment