Tuesday 29 November 2011

Bus to La Serena

Mon, 13:02. Got up about 11:20, found the clothes I washed in the sink late last night were still a bit damp, shoved them willy-nilly in my bag, checked out just in time (12:00), got the Metro over to Estacion Central, bought a ticket for La Serena and currently on bus waiting for it to leave.

Guy at the office when I checked out couldn't understand my Spanish. Probably didn't help that I didn't know the word for 'check out', but still. Everyone seemed to stare at me as I mustered my courage for a third attempt, then it turned out one of the other guys spoke English. Am sure I would have managed if necessary.

Bus is 6 hours. This is kind of poor planning as it means I spend today on the bus and then pay for a hostel tonight just to sleep in. Things were pretty hectic yesterday so I didn't have much time to plan in detail; I vaguely planned to go to Coquimbo, which is a 14h-ish overnight, but there seem to be no hostels on hostelworld.com there and 2-3 hotels on Expedia, all of which were full. So I thought I'd just wing it and go to La Serena. At least it breaks me in gently to the whole bus thing.

Oddly the ticket was CLP7,000 pesos despite the handwritten sign in the ticket office for this company saying 14,000. I actually understood the guy when he said 7,000 but I handed over two 10,000 notes thinking I hadn't. Still, a pleasant surprise.

We just had our tickets checked and I think they wanted people's ID cards. Not entirely sure on the language but I gave the guy my mini passport copy and he took the details off that.

Booked in for two nights in La Serena, including tonight. Not sure if that will be enough but since it was all so rushed I thought I'd better not book for three nights at the time; I can almost certainly extend for another night at the same hostel if I want, and failing that I can change. Must admit I was ridiculously lax in checking the location before I booked and have no idea where it truly is in relation to the rest of the place, but am sure it will be OK.

Got a double bed with shared bathroom for something like USD75 for the two nights, which isn't too bad. Might as well say it's hostel Aji Verde. I might have left the laundry last night except for the fact that with a shared bathroom I won't really be able to do laundry in it.

Bit worried I am going to feel a bit of time pressure in La Serena but we'll see how it goes. I have been recommended to visit Valle del Elqui nearby and my guidebook also says there is a moai in a museum there (assuming it hasn't been repatriated since the guidebook was written). I can imagine I will be taking an overnight bus out of there, which sort of gives me Tuesday and Wednesday there, but if so that means I need to do Valle del Elqui on Tuesday because it involves local buses and I don't want to have problems and get back too late for the bus onwards. Vaguely hope to have a quietish night tonight and get up fairly early tomorrow, but as always in that area desire tends to outrun performance.

I can hardly believe this is the first day of 'proper holiday', ie day when I would otherwise be working. Last Friday seems like ages ago.

Oh, I only realised while taking some hasty photos in the room before checking out, but you could see the statue of the Virgin on that hill from the window.

1528. TV showed some Chilean comedian called Kramer performing at Vina 2008 and we now have 'White Chicks' dubbed into Spanish. Not too loud and so given it's not a night bus not too bothered.

Got a bit of a headache for some reason but am sure it will go.

Felt a bit hungry so when a guy got on the bus selling sandwiches and drinks I bought a chicken sandwich. Amazingly enough it had no mayonnaise on; just chicken in a bap. I love Chile. :-) I asked the guy before I bought it and took the precaution of additionally claiming to be allergic to eggs, figuring he might possibly lie to make a sale but probably wouldn't go too far. Just hope no one from the bus sees me tucking into bife a lo pobre in La Serena. :-) Though I do hope to have a few days of slightly less unhealthy food. In London I try to eat slightly healthily during the week and I shall do my best to keep that up. Of course, being on holiday I always have an excuse but we'll see.

Rather bored, to be honest, and my feet hurt a bit despite being sat down. Still, it's OK. Reading Our Mutual Friend on phone as long as battery lasts. Views not bad if not stunning. Mountains/hills, sometimes up close, scrubby yellow grass with intermittent patches of green. Got an aisle seat (my choice) so won't try to take any photos; I do have my camera in my pocket now though.

Bought 500ml bottle of diet coke (sorry, Coca Cola Light) at the terminal before getting the bus. Already drunk more than half so will have to go easy on it. Could have bought a drink from the sandwich bloke but not that desperate yet. The bottle will also give me something to fill from the tap to take to bed with me tonight. (I am drinking the tap water here, as I believe I did last time. I think it's OK, if not I am sure I will find out soon. ;-) )

1541 Can see the coast out of the left window.

2104 Gonna start a new entry, but for what it's worth bus got in about 1905. Bit worried when we stopped at nearby place beginning with C which currently slips my mind but was pretty sure I wanted later stop, and I did. Plus the woman sat on my right was going to La Serena judging (correctly as it turned out) from a conversation she had on her mobile phone, which gave me additional confidence when she didn't get off there.

No comments:

Post a Comment