Friday 25 November 2011

Let the tedious waffling commence

18:40, Friday.

At Heathrow in a bar (Harlequin's) air-side in terminal 1. £3.90 for a pint of Harlequin Ale, which if pricey is not too eye-watering. Sat at the bar because tables are in short supply and even if it was allowed I'd feel uncomfortable sat there on my own with just a drink occupying a table.

Gate nominally opens 19:30, boarding starts 19:45 (hahahahahaha) and flight departs 20:45.

Had a big lunch (my usual large mixed grill with chips and peas at Wetherspoons) so no need to eat at the airport.

Quite chuffed I was allowed to bring my bag as hand luggage. I was worried it would exceed the titchy 5kg allowance, though I have never weighed it. Guy at check in desk weighed it on the conveyor belt and said it would be fine. I think he may have turned a bit of a blind eye but not sure. I have an approved cabin baggage sticker on the handle anyway so TS if anyone else wants to cut up rough. So that will save a little time when I arrive in Santiago and it means the only person who can lose my bag is me.

Doubt anyone is going to read this, but I'm going to say a few things here and then try to avoid the temptation to repeat them over and over again:
- While I hope this blog might entertain such of my friends as care to read it, I'm mainly writing it so I can look back at it later.
- Consequently, no apologies for excessive tedious detail.
- I think I've been pretty good about the amount I've been drinking here in London, for the last month at least. But I'm now on holiday, on my own and my primary strategy for meeting people is conversations in bars. So if I seem to be drinking a lot, TS. I will be teetotal for a solid week and a half at Christmas anyway.

Anyway, I think I have little else to say right now. Fingers crossed the O2 SIM works OK abroad.

Oh, in an attempt to stretch the battery life on the phone I have turned the brightness right down to minimum, the display easily being the big drain. Touch wood it is working moderately well, down to 86% now having taken the thing off charge when I left the office about 16:25 and having used it to read on the tube over and to write this crap here at the bar. Will switch to my one paperback (Yes Man by Danny Wallace; read it before but it's fairly good and I can consider disposing of it mid-trip with few qualms if I want to buy another book, since I only bought it second hand (admittedly from, if memory serves, the now-defunct Bob's Book Emporium at Liverpool St)) on the flight. I vaguely hope this strategy will allow me to squeeze a day's reasonable use out of one charge. We shall see, especially if I do try taking GPS tracks of my peregrinations.

No comments:

Post a Comment