Tuesday 29 November 2011

La Serena, Monday

2112 OK, I am a little discomposed at the moment. Let me grind out the chronological chain of events and then waffle.

Bus got in 1905ish. I did find the street the hostel was on on Google Maps at the terminal but decided to get a cab (CLP2,500 or 3k with tip) and it did seem a bit of a distance to walk with my bag. Driver knew where it was.

A middle-aged German woman was checking in just as I got there; I saw her get out of her taxi outside. She was forever checking in, though she did apologise to me. Honestly, I reckon it was 10-15 mins at least.

I then checked in to find that hostelworld and hostelbookers have double booked my room for tomorrow night. I am not quite sure why I got fucked, being there first, but they are putting me in a 4-bed dormitory tomorrow night. I didn't make a fuss and it is cheaper - I paid CLP19,200 on top of the 10% deposit already paid.

At a restuarant in town (deserted) waiting for grilled chicken and chips and bread is here so gonna stuff my face and resume this in a bit...

2349 I'm not complaining - maybe it's a hint from the powers that be to write less tedious crap :-) - but things keep interrupting this powerful travel writing. Was sat outside that v quiet restaurant eating and the German woman came past, joined me and we had a chat. She's a 65 year old retired language teacher called Marian who is travelling for two months. They turned the lights off inside about 2220 and we walked back to the hostel together. I did try to go to one bar we passed which was still open but they wouldn't serve alcohol without food, so I left and caught her up.

Currently back at hostel having a couple of beers on the lower terrace outside my room. Some SYTs (who I believe were out here when I arrived, had I got round to writing that part yet - though they seem a bit less smug than they did) having a chat at next table in English. Sat at a table with one of the staff and two of her friends; have had a slightly desultory conversation in Spanish with one of them but nothing much. Don't feel too much of a lemon and who cares anyway?

To resume the story of earlier, as I said, I have to switch to a dormitory tomorrow. Ignoring any other concerns, that's a bit of a bugger as if (hahahaha) I manage to get up early, I need to change rooms at 12. I suspect I could leave my bag at reception but I'd like to bag a lower bunk if I can. I do suspect I am going to end up spending an extra night in La Serena, here or elsewhere. Kind of glad I am here on the terrace, it might not be massively matey but I have kind of put myself in evidence, and the place seems sleepy enough I doubt there was much alternative for a drink.

Marian told me about some island nearby where there are whales and dolphins. Sounds a bit tempting but I am not sure if I want to invest the extra day; guess we will see.

Anyway, when I got checked in I was feeling somewhat discommoded. Silly really after having had a blinding time in Santiago and it was good to have that chat with Marian (in English, incidentally). Definitely feeling a bit better. A bit concerned about the time but as I said to Marian (who laughed inordinately when I explained the reference) I don't want this to turn into an 'if this is Tuesday, it must be Belgium' situation. Don't want to waste time but also don't want to hare around on the idea of some mythical itinerary.

Having to pay in cash here at the hostel (which I should have anticipated) cleaned me out, except for my reserve cash which I don't want to touch. First bank I went to, the cash machines turned me down. Bit worrying - though I do have a reserve debit/cash card - but the second worked, so that was OK anyway.

0211 Well one of the SYT invited me to join them and we had a pretty decent chat. I was the oldest by about ten years but WTF. Anyway, to bed. I shall probably not get up til midday anyway and have a wander, then I might book in for the trip to Valle de Elqui (which, I asked, leaves about 8:30am alas). Hope to see that museum with the moai tomorrow at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment