Saturday 26 November 2011

Sao Paulo airport contd

07:20 Sao Paulo. Turned on phone radio to check/send email. Email program naturally got arsey and refused to send. A test email worked, just not the queued ones. Error was 'Failed to send some messages'. Whoa baby, you're overloading me with detail there.

Somehow the phone sucked through my £10 of credit all at once. (That's not why the messages failed.) No fucking idea why. Have topped up another £10 and by manually resending the mails got them out and credit was still showing £10. Have to assume it was some background sync I think I now turned off.

At the bar in the terminal I came to last time I was here. Only opened while I was faffing nearby with top up. Got a beer without a choice; woman at bar doesn't seem to speak English or Spanish (or at least not my variety). My attempt to ask if they were open was treated as a request for a beer. I checked the price first, she had to type it on a calculator for me. BRL15.90 for a half litre (?) of draught Eisenbahn or something else I can't read from here. I had BRL18 on me in BRL2 notes, fortunately. So much for my wedge of decoy notes but to be honest I don't think they added much real security. I have absolutely no idea what the BRL/GBP exchange rate is, by the way, so I can't comment on the price of this beer.

I do note about three airlines have flights to Santiago this morning about the same time as mine, then the next one is 5/6pm. Seems a little odd.

08:21 Just got seated on plane. They gave me a window seat for this flight, but that's not so bad; I will get a view as it's daylight and it's short enough that I probably won't want to get up during the flight.

Feeling quite good now, I hope it's not the beer. I guess despite not getting an enormous amount of sleep it's now biologically 10:23 so it's not surprising I'm feeling better. I am either not a morning person or not a 'waking up time' person. Must admit on the flight last night I did have a 'what the fuck am I doing here?' moment, it seemed a bit of a silly holiday. But I think that was just a passing thing. Why not? Beats two weeks in Mablethorpe, I guess.

11:55 (Sao Paulo) Finished Yes Man ten minutes ago. Bored. Wondering what the hell I'm going to do when we land. Am sure it will be fine, I guess it's just sitting here that's getting to me a bit. Not exactly nervous but not exactly excited either.

Serious doubts about how my Spanish skills will have survived but sod it, it's not *necessary*, it just helps.

May dick around with the in flight entertainment. I think we have a bit under 2h flying time left but can at least watch a short documentary or something. Would read a book on phone but battery at 46% and I want to have some power left to use the GPS to locate the hotel if necessary. Plus the more I run it down now the longer it will take to charge up, and I'd like to get it fully charged before I go out tonight if possible.

Oh, wanted desperately to fall asleep before we took off but it passed. Had it not been for not wanting to miss the food, I might have given in.

Oh 2, we flew over Iguazu Falls. Announcement not very clear even in English, I think the announcement said you could see them out of the right side and I'm on the left, but it also said something about the left side and I did see what looked like a pretty impressive collection of waterfalls, including what could well have been the really big one you can stand at the top of. Was odd the way the foam/water didn't seem to move, but once I'd noticed it I realised the river was the same. I guess it's all so small the details which would show movement aren't really discernible.

No comments:

Post a Comment