Tuesday 26 February 2013

Playa del Carmen, Monday

1220 Sort of woke up 8ish and got up about 1030/11, had shower, did laundry and then sat on balcony listening to a bit of music on phone. That was actually quite pleasant, felt I ought to come down just in case I was expected to so cut it a bit shorter than might otherwise have done. No one seems to be around, I have come to the hotel bar for a beer, fuck it, it's free. Bit shit at the bar, the barman chappy was fiddling with the fridge and had his hands full of beers so I didn't order anything, thinking I'd let him finish serving or what have you. Maybe a minute later after some 'WTF' kind of looks between him and some other staff he asked me if I wanted anything to drink. Feel a bit of a tosser, clearly I am not in a great mood. I should be ruder, obviously.

My personal plan is to have this beer, maybe even a second, then go for lunch (I will just go to that place opposite where I went yesterday, La Ceiba) and a walk, not necessarily in that order. However I am inclined to lunch relatively early; I am not starving but I could eat, and yesterday I felt a bit on the bloated side having dinner because I'd eaten lunch relatively recently. I assume the others will have breakfasted and will omit lunch like yesterday. Also I don't know what the food situation will be like at the party so there may not be anything I can eat.

I don't actually know anything except that the party starts at 6pm on beach somewhere near hotel. I think I will head over to the beach where everyone was yesterday about 430pm to see if they're there, if not I shall maybe loiter in reception about 530/6 and see what happens. If push comes to shove I can call Z on her mobile via Skype from here in the hotel - actually I could text her too, which would be cheaper for her, but she'd have no way to reply so perhaps a bit futile. I could text her when I am loitering in reception to say so. Am sure it will be fine.

I may have a few beers during the day. I think it's very important I not be massively pissed especially since the party could be late and obviously I don't want to cause offence by sloping off early. On the other hand, yesterday I think I was decidedly a few drinks behind everyone else because they'd been drinking stuff at the beach club whereas I'd been a good boy during the afternoon. Apart from feeling a bit over full I guess I was probably drinking on a fuller stomach than I'm used to as well.

I do think I should maybe go for lunch after this beer, then I can always have a couple back here after, ideally with a walk somewhere thrown in. I might have a beer or two at some random bar on my walk, frankly I don't think I'm getting great value from this all inclusive but I'd rather have a wander and feel a bit free than chisel out a couple of free beers for the sake of it. Maybe tomorrow when the pressure is off a little I will have a minor bender on the freebies.

Guts feel a little heavy but I am trying to believe it's nothing. Haven't drunk the tap water, but have cleaned my teeth with it. Last two nights I got water from the bars so I had some for morning. On my walk today I should probably see if I can get a big bottle so I have it ready to drink before I go to bed after the party or in the morning.

1307 Fuck it, having a second beer. Writing a long waffly e-mail to Rab. Really have been very moderate with my drinking so far. If you assume the small chopes yesterday are equivalent to bottles, I had maybe ten bottles - under 6 pints - a single tequila and tiny bit of mezcal all night, over maybe 6-7 hours. With food too. Of course that's techically a binge and vastly exceeds my governmentally-prescribed allowance but still.

1338 Nearly done with second beer. Lunch beckons then a walk with perhaps a beer or two and purchase of water. On reflection I think I might not go to the beach on the offchance of meeting the rest of the guys, I will just be in the hotel bar from 5ish and text Z so she knows. I am sure they will be coming back to shower etc after the beach so it's hardly going to take her out of her way.

1521 At Las Delicias (arbitrary semi-acceptable bar/restaurant on main street) for post-walk beer. Went to La Ceiba, J came over to say hi as i was finishing up, she didn't go to the beach as wanted to sleep and unpack and stuff. Apparently some of the guys will be at the hotel bar from 5 so I will join them there.

Beer is hitting the spot I must say. Walked maybe 40 mins. Not seen much of massive interest though did see a number of Oxxo stores and my first farmacias del ahorro, just in case there was any doubt I am in Mexico. Quite hot out walking but acceptable. One thing I have probably done for the best as a result of being with the group is carrying my daypack instead of wearing/carrying a jacket for the pockets. I am leaving it behind at night though and making do with my trouser pockets.

1534 Think after this will go back to hotel, get a bottle of water at bar to take back to my room (free, and will save the big one, plus that will be cold), have a shower, put my white T-shirt on for the party and maybe surf a little before going down to bar to meet people.

Oh, I went into the little pharmacy place near hotel to buy some more insect repellent (Z has the shared bottle) and the big bottle of water. Only big one I could see was Evian so I took that, rather decently I thought the chap at the counter told me it was expensive as it was imported and offered me a bottle of local water instead. One of those little things that make you realise people aren't always out to rip you off.

I might wear the white shirt I wore with the tuxedo, I have washed it but it is perhaps a bit creased. On the other hand, it's probably looser and a bit more comfortable, even with the long sleeves, than my white T-shirt, which is a bit vest-ish and will perhaps hug my gut more than I'd like. We'll see.

I might have another beer here first. It's quite pleasant sitting here even if it's not quite as shady as I'd like. (Place is at 5ta Av Norte con calle 22, FWIW.)

1715 Back at hotel, showered, changed (white normal shirt, not T-shirt) at bar. Hope people do turn up. Got Z's present and card with me in carrier bag.

MXN70 bill at Las Delicias, made it 80 but paranoid that's maybe too little (I mean, it's over 10% but small absolute amount)

0205 Back at hotel phone keyboard knackered so not waffling.  Z did us proud. Good night except for foul club (by consensus not just me) Mandala after main party at Fusion on beach. Had five or six virgin diet cokes after feeling bit drunk fairly early on and think I got quite badly wired on the caffeine.

No comments:

Post a Comment