Sunday 17 February 2013

Mexico packing

Let me be honest, this is mainly a test entry which I thought I'd try to make relevant enough to keep.

Been having a look over the packing list and assembling a shopping list. Not sure about the clothes yet. The rather dead-weight tuxedo adds bulk to my total clothes volume, but on the other hand I can try to offset that by being more efficient in other areas (I have been a bit heavier than I'd like on previous trips anyway) and on this trip for once I should be, for better or worse, relatively stationary - I am booked in the same hotel for all ten nights, so as long as it fits in my bag weight is not quite so important. I am still perhaps a little tight on space due to the tuxedo but we will see how it goes. Frankly I probably could take a suitcase instead of my travel bag given the limited need for mobility, but I do rather like the idea of travelling light so I am going to give it a go.

The tuxedo adds volume in that the trousers and shirt are not massively re-wearable for the rest of the trip so I need to pack an extra pair to compensate, and I also need to pack a second jacket instead of just having one which I wear instead of pack. To be fair, having travelled with my fleece the last n times, I have needed space in the bag to shove that when it got too hot; this time I am taking a lighter jacket which may help compensate. I do worry how I will manage without the fleece's beautifully capacious pockets, but this is a good chance to experiment. I am not dropping the fleece because of the tuxedo but because it's too heavy to be ideal in a warm climate.

I also need to take two pairs of shoes, since I suspect - and am certainly not going to gamble on it - black shoes won't go with most of my normal travel gear (cream-ish trousers and jeans).

I am seriously thinking about not taking any jeans; they *are* heavy and bulky and slow to dry, and although I have worn them without major problems on previous trips they are probably less than ideal in a hot climate. If I do go visit any ruins the 'ruggedness' of jeans appeals, but in reality I don't think it's a big deal.

I should make a note of exactly what clothes I took and how I got on towards the end of the trip for future reference.

I also have to pack Z's present but that isn't going to be very bulky - after all, she will have to carry all her presents back, so it's in her interest as well as mine to keep it small and light! Being deliberately cagey here just in case she should read this (not likely, but not inconceivable, especially if I am not secretive about making blog entries while abroad).

No comments:

Post a Comment