Monday 25 February 2013

Playa del Carmen, Sunday

1502 At La Ceiba opposite hotel having just had buffet.

Didn't feel too bad this morning, first surfaced about 8am and sort of got up 11am ish. Had an e-mail from Mum saying LloydsTSB wanted me to phone to verify the transactions, which seemed a tedious expensive chore until I remembered I could use Skype and got it sorted in a few minutes.

Did a bit of laundry, had a shower and was going to go out for lunch and to withdraw cash before trying to find the rest of the guys, but Z and Dave knocked on my door about midday and said we were all meeting in reception.

Had a beer down there and we all signed up for the three day all inclusive deal; for me it was IIRC MXN2100 because my booking was the bog standard basic package. This includes free drinks so I suspect there may be some heavy consumption. We had another beer and attended the Virgin induction, then headed off to the beach. I went along just to find out where they were sitting - phone and/or GPS Essentials singularly refusing to play ball with taking note of GPS position - then went off to get some lunch. They all had breakfast at the hotel and I didn't, plus beaches aren't really my bag anyway. I don't know how they work in terms of getting changed and towels and all that crap, I feel like a tosser wearing swimming trunks out of the water and I can't swim anyway. (Of course, I can't simply not be able to swim. Just as I had to go through a course of expensive lessons to not be able to drive, I had to go through a tedious and unpleasant series of swimming lessons every summer holiday for years in order not to be able to swim.)

A disturbing number of the activities on offer here seem to involve water. I shall perhaps duck out of some/all, it depends on exactly what is involved. I am prepared to get wet but I am not swimming.

Had a glass of some sweet white liquid with the buffet. I wonder if this is dulce de leche? No idea. Will ask Z later if I remember. It is OK but frankly I'd prefer milk, it's a bit sickly sweet. They have water and tea/coffee, but no coke. It's hardly busy in here and I am in no great rush to get back to the beach, so I might get a tea (if they have it; I suspect it's just coffee actually).

They do have teabags and hot water but I didn't notice and got a black coffee. There is no milk and no spoons to stir the sugar in but it will be OK.

When I came in here I was feeling a bit hacked off and I wasn't sure what the procedure was. I sat at a table for a few minutes without attracting any attention so I decided that here especially I should just play the dumb tourist card. I walked up to a waitress clearing a table and asked her in English if I could eat free here with this wristband. She said yes and I should just help myself, so I did. Two separate waitresses asked me to sign the bill with my room number but I said I'd already signed the second time and that seemed OK. (They spoke to me in Spanish so I did the same. Didn't do that to start with for maximum touristness, plus if I ask in Spanish and misinterpret her response about whether I can eat free that's my problem, whereas it's her problem if she gives me the wrong answer in English.)

I should leave a tip (even though it's just a buffet) but I have nothing smaller than a 50. I might ask if I can get 20 change. Yeah, just done that.

Oh, Z bought me a new hat on the way to the beach, as my 'London cap' is black. I will give her the MXN300 later; I went and withdrew some more money before I came here.

Haven't taken any photos yet; I gather beaches and cameras don't mix, plus since it is too hot to wear my jacket I am carrying my 'nearly empty' daypack around with me to hold most stuff (wallet and phone in zipped trouser pockets, though) and I am deliberately not bringing any more than necessary in it (I do have swimming trunks and my viscose towel, since I was hedging my bets with the beach) as there is a distinct possibility I will lose it. Even without drinking, I am not used to carrying one. I might leave it at the hotel if we all go back there; I could pop across now and leave it anyway, but it seems best to hang onto it for now.

Might get another coffee. I can't see why I shouldn't camp here as long as I like, it's not as if there aren't loads of free tables, and I tipped moderately well (infinity percent ;-) ). As long as it's not alcohol I don't see a big problem. I am sure the plans are rather fluid but Dave seemed to think they'd be at the beach at least a couple of hours, so I reckon getting back there at 1615 would be fine and I could still find myself there for an hour or two. It's a shame my phone doesn't work but still. Disinclined to buy a local SIM when I have free wifi (which reaches across to this restaurant, so may send this early) even if it might be handy for coordinating with group. But maybe a Mexican number would be ultra expensive for them to call anyway.

Body and primarily hands feel sticky. It's the sunblock plus insect repellent (we seem to be sharing the bottle I got last night with Zheyla) and maybe a bit of sweat.

It is hot but especially in the shade and if there's a breeze it is quite pleasant, not inferno-like. Someone said the locals consider this 'fresh', as there is a breeze. The rep said it can get down to 12C or so if cold air comes down from the US, and not to trust the weather forecast.

Think I will get another coffee then perhaps pop back into hotel, wash my hands and maybe borrow a book from the shelf in the reception so I can read it (hard to read phone even in shade out there, it's so bright) if hanging around at beach.

As I have probably said before, I hope when I return to London winter will be over. I know March can be cold but fingers crossed it won't be bitter like it was the last week or so. I haven't actually checked the weather back home.

Just occurred to me I can Skype Mum from here as the wifi reaches.

1811 Found the guys on the beach OK, we are back at the hotel and meeting at 630 at Legends just opposite the hotel. Vaguely tempted to have a shower but since I'm not all sandy etc I think I won't as time is slightly short. May splash a bit of water on myself.

Will send this now since probably won't make any entries during tonight and this way if I lose my phone at least this is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment