Thursday 12 December 2013

Amritsar, Thursday

1731 OK, I guzzled my other packet of biscuits and had a sort of upright bath from the hot tap at waist height in bathroom (shower only runs cold, as usual). Going out to see if I can find food, then back for quiet night in and maybe tomorrow morning will get up early to see Golden Temple.

1751 At canteen-esque Bharawan da Dhaba as listed in guide book. Having malai kofta, veg pulao rice (I slightly fear this bit of order has got lost) and a butter naan with a diet coke. Probably no beer here and anyway this is an easy opportunity to have an alcohol free day.

Is a tour agency in street near hotel mentioning the border ceremony so I may approach them tomorrow or possibly but not probably tonight.

1822 That was pretty good, though despite the portion not being gigantic (though a fair size) I feel full without finishing it and a little sick. Butter naan was very buttery and left half of it; didn't see plain naan on menu as was bit hurried to order, also elsewhere butter naan has not been that rich.

Will get bill and go back to hotel. Hope am not ill, probably just full.

Oh, they didn't give me a knife and fork, but a bit-bigger-than-teaspoon spoon. Twas OK.

Bill 346, will make it 400. Feeling better already, so probably just overeating and maybe a touch of excessive oiliness (I blame the butter naan.)

1830 Back to hotel. Not talking to tour company in case I am ill, no point making commitments unnecessarily if there's any doubt. Can see them tomorrow early afternoon and maybe still do it tomorrow. Anyway, let's go.

1844 Back at hotel. Street lights seem oddly orange; then I thought 'isn't this just the normal sodium orange?' then I thought that probably most street lights have been white for years. Who knows?

Oh, if I forgot to say I walked over to hotel from bus stand. This is one reason I was so keen not to lose my bearings by having bus pull off street with me still on it.

2139 Oh, there was a pub opposite Jalandhar bus station called Glassy Junction, which reminded me of the one in Southall/Hanwell. Didn't take a photo though.

2219 Uploading some photos of the camel research centre (as they like to call it), I am reminded they were keen to stress that all the camel bone crafts were made from camels which died naturally. Not sure if that is true, might be. Guide did say camels were not eaten as they are 'like' cattle as far as Hinduism is concerned. Did I say I had a cup of chai supposedly made with camel milk? Not sure it tasted any different. Oh, and the guide said they sell the babies off after a few years to mature and they go for 40-50k rupees at auction. He also said the locals can bring female camels to breed with a high quality male for free, which surprised me (it being free).

2353 Going to bed. *Not* going to try to be up at dawn tomorrow; feel slightly crap with this sore throat and last night's sleep obviously not fantastic if better than expected. Will set an alarm for 11ish and see what happens. Can see temple middayish and if I want can get up at dawn next day to go a second time.

While I remember, talking to Toffi about the place being on multiple booking sites and how was this coordinated, he said they had (say) 20 rooms and told booking.com they had 10, agoda they had 5, somewhere else they had 5. So each site works independently, and therefore one could show availability when the others didn't. Assuming this is typical, that shows it is worth trying other sites if availability is poor on one.

Anyway, bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment