Saturday 7 December 2013

Jodhpur, Friday

2013 At hotel restaurant. Quite a nice view of fort. Waiter a bit odd but I think I am having a beer - he seemed quite insistent when I tried to order a diet coke - and the 'Rajasthani traditional full meal', which at 200 seems far too cheap. Waiter introduced himself as Ramesh. Slightly odd. I think his English isn't great and/or he finds my accent incomprehensible. No worried. Have long-sleeved shirt on over T-shirt and temperature is pleasant ATM.

Another waiter just came over and said 'only drinks?' (I have my beer). I said I had just ordered from other waiter. I hope there is going to be food. Oh well, it doesn't shut til 11 so plenty of time to rectify any errors.

Wifi has signal up here, if I only knew what the network name was, but nothing seems to connect.

I think I might have lost a 500 note over the course of the day, but maybe not. Not the end of the world if I did.

2027 Do wonder if food is coming. Had fruit in hotel room this morning despite not feeling like it and a packet of bourbons on the train so not starving but food would be grateful and comforting nonetheless.

2032 Could it be Varaneshi where that chap was studying at the IIT?

2040 Fearing I don't have a food order in. Crescent moon low in sky, oriented to look like a bowl. FFS, I am going to have to try to find a waiter - none are visible - and order some food, it's been 27 minutes. Or is this it coming? No, that's going upstairs.

2044 FFS, that waiter has disappeared. OK, collared another one, have ordered the same thing and said they might already have that in from half an hour ago.

Chap came back to ask  'Spicy?' 'Yes, please' 'Spicy?' 'Yes, please' I should have said 'Yes, spicy'. I have been asked this (with more comprehension) before and said yes and it's been fine, so I am not reading this in a shocked or 'are you absolutely sure?' way.

2134 Food not bad, especially the soup whatever it was. Would probably have preferred one single large dish but still. 200 for food, 150 for beer which is pretty good. Given 500 in, will probably make it 450 with tip if get some change back.

2335 Peculiarly hacked off. Maybe tired. Wifi very ropy but after speaking to desk and finding out some quirks about the different networks and realising I was misreading a handwritten 4 as a 7 have managed to dribble out an e-mail home saying I am OK and do a teensy bit of web surfing. Going to bed now anyway. Phone will be dead by morning thanks to no socket near bed and the shitty arrogant unconfigurability of the Scribd Android app in deciding to force the screen to stay on forever when it's running but I can always switch to a spare battery and somehow find time to recharge both batteries tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment