Saturday 13 October 2018

Antigua, Friday night

2338 Back at hostel. Things worked out astoundingly well, all things considered.

Went to Mono Loco. Very US Sports Bar esque. Probably my fault for ordering draught but had a Wrought Iron IPA - nice enough - and they charged me 44 quetzales. I nursed it while watching some incomprehensible baseball and feeling I ought to leave a tip I shoved 5 under the menu before I left.

It was raining so I went into Sin Something next door. 30 for a bottle of moza which I nursed while watching a grainy analogue ESPN feed otherwise identical to what I'd seen in Mono Loco.

Wandering round the corner I stumbled on some pretty decent live blues at Travel Menu. I went in, sat at the bar and a Californian guy called Jason had a brief chat with me - nothing major but he instigated it and I was grateful. Stayed til the music finished about 2230, during that time bar owner Rory (Irish, but been everywhere and married to a Guatemalan) chatted with me and mentioned - as had Jason - the related Irish bar Snug next door. So I went over there about 2245ish. It was truly tiny,  but pretty cool. Had a brief chat with Jason, spoke a bit with Rory and a Guatemalan guy called Josue (*not* Jose) married to a Kansas woman was nice enough to speak to me in Spanish.

The cops raided the place about 2315 - I had read in guidebook the law said close at 0100 but various people had told me 2300 was significant - so we had to leave. Rory told me about a bar open late across parque central which was very official, but no one else was going there and I was/am pleasantly drunk so I said I'd leave it. Walked home and there were a few people on streets and it felt OK. Spoke to a few ppl tonight re safety and although a bit inconsistent advice seemed to be that up to about 0030 a bloke who wasn't staggering around pissed was safe.

So right now I'm a bit pissed but not terribly so. Will probably go back to Snug tomorrow 7-8ish and assume it's friendly enough I can have a chat, and Jason said Travel Menu has great music 4-9ish Sun so prob go back then. In some ways maybe I was/am a drunk idiot but nothing terrible and it's nice to have conversation and feel there's somewhere to go next time I return here.

No comments:

Post a Comment