Friday 19 October 2018

Panajachel-Quetzaltenango

0613 Waiting in hotel reception. Cool but not cold. Feeling a bit tired but not too bad. Slight dread on waking up in bed, partly due to wanting to sort out Spanish school today, but its OK. If I can't I can't; I am pretty sure some schools at least let you start midweek. Tomorrow may be some national holiday which may make it even less likely schools (if only their public facing talk-to-prospective-student bits, not the actual teachers) are open tomorrow.

Saw mixed comments on my Xela hotel on Google Maps while starring its location last night. Not a big deal, I can move somewhere else afterwards if I like.

0905 At hotel. Paid 579.50 for 5 nights exactly as expecting. Room large, London Underground bedspread, no window but not too bad. I say room is large, the bed takes up a lot of it - I seem to have got a double for free - but still.

Picked up in an SUV by one guy about 645 and taken to the bus. Me and one other woman in it - we exchanged brief hellos but no more, from brief exchanges she had with driver I think she was on her way to Chiapas. We stopped at a service station outside Xela and I got put in another minibus - just me and driver - to come to hotel. I think the second driver might have had a chat with me but I wasn't feeling at my best and after saying 'si' 3 times in a row when he asked me if it was my first visit to Xela he left me alone. :-/

I am here early so nice of them to let me in, they seem OK here. Yawning. Will see if wifi works and send this.

Xela looks a bit gritty from the drive in but it's been grey and overcast right from Panajachel and I'm a bit tired and nowhere is going to look its best. I may splurge on breakfast before tackling any Spanish schools given how early I am here.

No private kitchen - I didn't really expect this, based on Google Maps review, booking.com listen was mildly deceptive - but do have private bathroom with standard suicide shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment