Sunday 28 October 2018

Quetzaltenango, Saturday

1309 At PdlJ. Grilled chicken breast with soup, rice, veg and tortillas. Cool, tamarind juice offered.

Woke up about 1030 - no alarm. Stayed in bed til maybe 12ish, didn't feel too bad. Had a shower - which always feels like a massive chore - and have come out. Feel a bit lazy. Do vaguely plan to go up one of the hills in town, but my teacher said there would be a lot of people there (thus safer) on Sunday IIRC and while I suspect Saturday is the same I feel a bit paranoid. So I may just wander, perhaps head over to where apartment is so I don't get too big a shock tomorrow.

1705 Back at hotel, been here maybe half an hour. I think I found the apartment, it's just a big solid iron gate but there is a number painted on it. About 11 mins walk from there to school, which isn't ideal in terms of getting up but if it's a nice place will be worth it.

Went over to where the railway museum is supposed to be (as it's over that way); again failed to find it, but went in the deserted entrance and although I didn't go past the entrance hall I'd been in before, it looks like the big hall beyond it might well be the old station proper. Google Maps shows the museum down a sort of side street but I couldn't even see that street.

Had a wander round that part of the city (heading east along the main road until I hit 12 Avenida then turned south down there to come back to hotel). Quite bustling and busy and feels much more city-like than the relatively small town feel in the streets round the central park.

Not entirely sure what to do tonight. On the one hand I've drunk quite a lot Thursday and Friday nights and it would be good not to drink more. On the other hand, I would like to maybe scrape acquaintance with someone which kind of suggests going and having a few beers at the bar, perhaps drifting round a few places, or maybe I'll just pick one - eg King and Queen - for tonight and if nothing happens after two or three beers come home, as a kind of compromise between this and the "don't go out" option. On the third hand, I could go to one of those other live music venues and enjoy the music and of course maybe I'd bump into someone there.

The thing is that the chap (originally from Sheffield but hasn't lived in the UK for 20 years) who I bumped into by chance yesterday and who I did the pub quiz with on Thursday is leaving in the next couple of days. While I don't think we're great mates, he was at least friendly enough to come over to me last night. So if I happen to bump into him again tonight he probably wouldn't be too annoyed and might introduce me to some more people, which would be easier and quicker than the alternatives. I don't really know where or if he might be out, but in the absence of anything better El Shamrock and King and Queen (both of which were patronised by school students on Thursday; karaoke was at K&Q) seem like the best bet. I'm a bit leery of going somewhere other school students in case they'd rather not have anything to do with me and it's awkward, but I guess I shouldn't think like that. I wouldn't want to be out really late anyway as I need to be up to check out tomorrow morning.

2055 At K&Q. 20 for a Moza which is OK. Tiny place, a Spanish-speaking (presumably local) group and two American women speaking English at another table. Sat at a table instead of bar as it's such a small place and there are 3 staff behind the bar it would feel weird. May go after this beer, at least I tried. Door was locked so I actually started walking away then one of staff came and opened it. No idea if this is normal.

2136 Finished first beer. Ah, something is happening. Karaoke looks like. Will stop reading on phone and watch.

0044 Just got back to hotel. Hearing half a dozen bolts shot back as I was let in to the hotel makes me wonder If it's super fucking dangerous here.

I was actually the last customer in the bar. It was super weird. I kind of feel like apart from me everyone else there for the (impromptu? I read Thu was karaoke night) karaoke knew each other. The group gradually drifted off - at the end there were two people (one woman, gothish, fishnet tights, and one person whose sex I couldn't determine without staring more than I wanted) - but some people shook my hand and/or said goodnight as I left. I moved over to the bar and switched to draught Gallo after first 3 beers. A woman (part of a couple) sat at the bar kept looking at me but I didn't say anything.

As I walked home - streets pretty deserted - I noted Trova Rock had music coming out but door not open. K&Q didn't let some people in about midnight FWIW, even though other ppll and then me got served.

I actually had quite a good night in a strange way. I don't know exactly why people shook my hand on leaving, but it's hardly a bad-natured gesture. I did feel a bit awkward at times, like I had crashed a private party (but strictly speaking I hadn't, staff let me in and no one complained). Maybe I could have struck up a conversation but even putting aside doubts about my Spanish competency, I sort of felt I had no right to intrude on a group and if they wanted to talk they would have to make the first move. At the same time I half wonder if going back there next Sat might pay off in terms of striking up a chat.

To start with the karaoke was all Spanish and that slightly over-maudlin romantic stuff (though I did quite enjoy "todos me miran" ) but towards the end it was all slightly dark English language rock (Linkin Park, Metallica). A lot - not all - of the peoiple singing could actually sing. I didn't even try to sing - if I could only sing well I would have done, it might have been a good 'in', but in the absence of any pressure to sing I didn't inflict my caterwauling on them. Anyway, on the whole interesting.

At one point some guys performed an English language song I can't remember name of right now on guitar and drums in honour of a couple's first anniversary.

Anyway, don't feel overly drunk - I'm not, for all my net consumption is a bit iffy - but bed. No response from apartment owner (who I emailed via booking.com) re checkin tomorrow but just have to hope it's OK, and maybe will have to nerve myself to call him/her via Skype tomorrow morning before checking out.


No comments:

Post a Comment