Monday 22 October 2018

Quetzaltenango, Sunday

1153 At La Venesa. Getting empanada de pollo (15), coffee (6) and a cabezona (1.5, a sort of bready thing). Nominally popped out to withdraw a big chunk of cash to pay school but came here first, will go get cash and lock it up in bag back at hotel after. Plan for today is just to walk round a bit.

Woke up about 8am then again about 10. Deliberately didn't set an alarm as want to ensure I've had adequate sleep before starting on the 8am classes. School confirmed, so all set for tomorrow. (Was virtually certain yday but got e-mail this morning.)

Dithered around in hotel calling parents and cleaning teeth and so forth, probably left about 15 mins ago - I probably actually got up about 1030-11.

D"oh, place is actually La Vienesa. I'd been reading backwards writing on the door until now and misread.

Gah, empanada turned up on a plate with knife and fork and covered in a lightly spicy tomato saucey stuff. I scraped most of it off and managed to eat it, which I think was quite a good performance considering my dislike of the sauce. The empanada itself was actually quite nice and fairly substantial.

Bill should be 22.5, I will actually probably just make it 30 due to change issues. I did over-tip yesterday anyway.

1230 Procession just went past. Saw a banner saying something about remembering the military dictatorship and another 'ven Señor Jesús', and a load of people carrying a big float-y thing coffin style on their shoulders, and two guys with tubas bringing up the rear. (Definitely a procession not a protest though.)

(Didn't take any photos; it seemed rude.)

1317 Back at hotel briefly. Withdrew 1500 from a 5B machine on my debit card and pleased to see the fee is fixed (31.20) not a percentage. On the downside, one of the 100 notes has a torn corner. I hope this isn't going to be a problem. I will try to give it over to the school tomorrow morning as a starting point.

It's very sunny and hot when not in the shade. Going to leave fleece at hotel. Tempted to wear cap but I do have sunblock on my head and I don't plan to deliberately sit around in sun so I won't.

1353 Still at hotel. Pissing it down. By sheer luck this started before I went out. Guess the sunblock and insect repellent I just put on my arms was wasted... I'm pretty sure I can buy sunblock here (but factor 50?) but I may struggle to get any more picaridin (sp) insect repellent - but I couldn't bring half a litre of the stuff with me, realistically speaking. (100ml bottle says it will last 1 person 2 weeks.) The longer I can put off having to buy anything containing DEET the better; I have no health concerns about it, but I enjoy not having my plastics destroyed. (Someone on web other day saying only 100% DEET eats plastic; I am dubious myself.)

0.08mm precipitation this hour according to phone forecast app. It must just sound heavier than it really is.

1656 In Pollo Campero just off central park. Elton John's "Sacrifice" playing, though barely audible.

Went for a walk. Quite sunny, bit of water in the streets. Tried to walk along the N-S avenidas but either I'm crap at it or they aren't quite as regularly grid-like. Eventually stumbled on some kind of free live music at a stage set up at one corner of central square, so listened to that for a while then came in here. I had been hoping for the indulgent lardiness of a KFC, but it's slightly up the Nando's spectrum with table service etc. Had 2 pieces chicken, chips and a diet pepsi (in theory I am entitled to a free refill, but you have to ask a waitress and TBH I haven't seen my waitress since I ordered). 44.50, just handed over 100 and waitress (a different one) said "muy amable" , but I trust I will get change. Will tip 10 as per plan, I had hoped to avoid tipping if it was KFC style service at counter but meh. Food OK but chicken was a bit cold and it's knife-and-fork so not the indulgent carefree guzzling I'd hoped for. I had been intending to have a fried ch...

1756 Back at hotel. ...icken binge pretty much since I saw the first fried chicken place here (which IIRC was Pollo Campero in Guatemala City from the shuttle to Antigua) but kept eating in other places and not wanting to eat anything else. I was a bit disappointed in the context of my specific 'gorge myself on unhealthy food cheaply' desire, but as I say it was OK.

The band was playing again in square so watched a song or two then managed to find the supermarket near there and buy some bananas, apples, water and peanuts. I took my own bag this time, had it stuffed in back trouser pocket. Peanuts still pretty expensive. FWIW 1.75l water 8.75, peanuts (looking at receipt) surprisingly variable in price at 3.3, 6.7 and 4.5 each 80g I think, apples 9.9 for a bag of about 6 small Gala apples, bananas 2.66 for 4 (at 1.4 per pound).

2344 Bed. Been reading and doing a bit of laundry and so forth. Not really tired but got to be up early etc. Not not tired either. Oh, turns out I bought sparkling water by mistake. Not a big deal, I like sparkling water, but won't be so good once it goes flat and not ideal for cleaning teeth. I had a bit of still water left fortunately, and I'll probably have to buy another bottle tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment