Wednesday 6 February 2019

Concepcion, Tuesday

1740 Sitting outside deserted bar just off Plaza Espana (corner Barros Arana and Serrano). Having much-neeed half litre schop (Cristal). Walked up to Mirador Aleman on Cerro Caracol and back down before coming over here. Quite cool, nice view over river and across to Pacific, though trees block the view rather.

Sunny today; like a fool I brought my fleece out so have ended up carrying it most of day.

Got up maybe 11-12 and left airbnb maybe 1. Took a chunk out of my nose by shaving carelessly and had to hang around waiting for the bleeding to stop.

Walked over to bus terminal but didn't buy a ticket; although I felt harried by a presumably driver chap pushing up behind me and asking questions of woman behind desk, Linea Azul have a bus every half hour for IIRC 2000-3000, takes 1.5h, so I can just walk up and buy a ticket tomorrow and not have to worry about getting there too early or late.

Then walked over to CC, stopping off in Cafe Cappuchino for an OK chicken and chips, it came with a juice (probably pineapple) and I got a Nescafe after before leaving for CC.

And now walked back over here. Should probably have brought water out with me but had no idea it was so warm. Phone said "mist" and IIRC it wasn't sunny out of window when left home but rapidly changed. Phone forecast not nec any good, of course.

Plan is to have a couple here then go back via hypermarket place got water (cheap and cold) yday and go home, gorge on cold water and then have a quiet night in and book flight to Brazil.

I booked accommodation in Chillan this morning; thought about booking flight but decided be best to leave it til tonight when I wouldn't feel rushed cos I wanted to go out.

1755 That slipped down dangerously quickly. :-) Will have another but won't rush to get it, wait and see if anyone comes out for a bit.

Had idea earlier that if I periodically take photo with camera of phone screen showing GPS time, I can use that to determine the exact offset between camera and GPS time which will greatly simplify/improve accuracy of GPS tagging camera photos using GPS tracks when I get home. Had planned to periodically set camera clock precisely to GPS time but haven't yet bothered to do so, and I think this is probably better. I am assuming the EXIF tags on the photos include seconds-resolution timestamps, of course.

1805 Getting another.

1843 Just about finished. Tempting to have a third - it's sunny and pleasant etc - but prob won't. Want to sort out flight and also no idea what time supermarket place will shut and I can always have a beer or two in Chillan tomorrow afternoon or whatever so no point overdoing it today.

1852 Not cheap at 4200+500 tip but meh. Was semi-desperate and didn't want to hunt anything out with price showing, and way better than last night anyway.

1947 Home. Queue from hell at supermarket and I don't think woman on till liked my Spanish but WTF. Got water and some Pringles clones (lard out) and couple of packets of peanuts+raisins for future bus etc journeys. Paid on Clarity since had it on me, it all reduces cash machine fees and not too worried about cloning in a major supermarket (and suspect chip+PIN helps).

Room a bit warm but opened window and not too bad.

For some incomprehensible reason Dropbox has multiple conflicted copies of this draft - I, on my phone, am the only person editing it so makes no sense. My PC back home is powered off so it can't be getting in on the act somehow.

That supermarket is where the "fortune cookie" slip of paper comes from - no idea why they have this near-detached bit at bottom of receipt, but they do.

Forgot to say on first night here I saw a busy bookie shop open nearish airbnb. Quite a taste of home, really - first bookie I have seen at least this trip, and they're not common in Latin America in general.

Wed 0012 Torrid evening trying to book flight but may all work out for best; need to sleep on things again but will hopefully be able to book Wed evening.

Checkout is at noon tomorrow; hope not to push it too much but that works tolerably well. If I can be up 11ish to shower first that's nice, leave here 12ish, walk to bus terminal (45 mins??) and be on a bus maybe 1ish, I'd be getting into Chillan 2:30ish and check in at new airbnb (apparently near bus terminal; swanky!) is 3 so that works pretty well, no need to rush, and I can then have a bit of a wander round Chillan for the afternoon.

Have partly packed, will finish tomorrow morning once cleaned teeth etc.

Will go to bed now, not tired but not not tired, see what happens, maybe surf a bit in bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment