Wednesday 13 February 2019

Talca-Rancagua

Tue 1154 On bus. Pretty nice, got bag into rack with daypack removed. Seems to be a bus to Santiago every 10-15 mins across various companies.

Struggled to get to sleep last night, maybe drifted off 2-3. This morning had that warm and comfy feeling in bed, just because I had to get up, but hung on in bed til 1040ish and left hostel maybe 1105 wirh no problem.

1205 Off. Currently got double seat to myself and most of seats round me are free too. Final dstn is Santiago.

1323 Had a coffee and a choice of snacks; nothing absolutely incredible but for semi-cama definitely a nice touch.

Listening to Kingmaker's "Eat Yourself Whole" for first time in ages, forgot how good it was.

Film on flip-down monitors about some robotic dog called A-X-L; doing my best to ignore it, perhaps unfair but it looks a bit moronic.

1516 Bavaro restaurant (air conditioned, a nice bonus tho not intolerably hot) near hostel. Checked in, all OK. Feel surprisingly hungry, churrasco a lo pobre. Yeah, unimaginative I know. Seen Chinese restaurants here on walk over from bus drop off, as in other places, may go to one of those tomorrow. Write more later.

1537 Food not bad though eggs a bit crispy. Getting a coffee, slightly pricey here (they actually had a menu which I was given when first sat at table, so I looked) but want to lurk. Still feel slightly hungry but think that's mainly greed. Will go for a wander once lurked over a coffee, just may treat myself to a snack or ice cream or something later. Plan is to stay off the beer until Friday night, although if I do yield to temptation and have one mid-afternoon one day I will try not to beat myself up.

(Good job did look, lomo a lo pobre was 11k or so. I suspect it's "nice" steak, but wasn't going to experiment - churrasco a lo pobre was fine.)

Asked for Nescafe (knowing it said chico on menu) as it was cheapest, it actually seems to be an espresso, perhaps from a Nespresso machine or something, not the instant I was half expecting.  Not a problem.

Paid at hostel on Clarity card, no surcharge for that and prob a worthwhile risk as waffled before - down to my last 25k or so of cash and still trying to put off having to decide how much to withdraw. Was 71k not the 67k was expecting but at least that's not the 19% VAT and I decided not to quibble, quite possibly the difference is currency fluctutions. (Had they declined my card or told me there was a surcharge I'd have had to go out and withdraw some cash in order to pay, though I would probably have tried the Starling debit card first - though if that *did* get cloned or similar it would be a greater hardship.)

Ho(s)tel room is quite decent; rather spartan (two single beds, bedside table, wardrobe, TV on wall) but clean, even slightly clinical, and private bathroom quite large.

1617 Fucking hell. Bill 8700 because they added a "saldo mesa" for 1800 on, and then there was a 10% tip on top of this 8700 too (waiter didn't ask me but it did "suggest" this on the bill). Won't be coming back here. Paid on Clarity. Was 6200 for food IIRC and I thought about 1100 for coffee but maybe wrong. Anyway, let's go wander.

1724 At Plaza de los Heroes; stumbled across this on walk back towards hostel as doing a circuit out towards Parque Comunal (? that's what Google Maps seems to call it) and seems quite nice so got an americano (1300; no tip as went to counter myself, don't think is table service) at Plaz@online. Quite a nice little square.

1936 Back at hostel, been here a while. Didn't realise Paseo de la Independencia was just other side of square, nice pink cathedral too. Went and got water (and a "touch of lemon" drink) at a supermarket, came back here and guzzled lemon drink. Asked about washing machine, if I understood correct they have one but not for guest use. Am sure booking.com said there was one but never mind. Have done some hand washing and will do some more in a bit. Just finished reading Agatha Christie's "Cat Among The Pigeons", pretty good.

2305 Briefly, when got on bus this morning had a mini discussion with one of the staff checking tickets and was told (I think) the nearest they went to the terminal (which I think I saw on my walk this afternoon - O'Higgins) was "Rancagua Sur" . This turned out to be a simple bus stop at the south side of town. As it was broad daylight and I had Google Maps and it was maybe a couple of kilometres walk (which for all I knew "the proper terminal" would have been anyway; I hadn't checked, I just had hostel location marked on map) it was fine - there was also a chap calling "taxi" to the few of us who got off - but it might have been mildly disturbing/expensive had it been after dark.

Done a few little bits of admin this evening, wifi keeps going off all the time which is annoying but still moderately productive. Wikitravel mentions some vague hiking/tour prospects nearby, really not sure what I am going to do tomorrow yet. Trying to download maps.me map but wifi is just totally hosed at the moment. Just need to try not to put too much pressure on myself one way or another.

Not hungry but would like something to eat. Tis OK, probably good for me. May try not to go to bed too late. In some ways a bit of a saddo evening in at hostel (which is more hotel-like and for all it has a common area is not a (youthish) touristy hostel AFAICS, and FWIW tho booking.com said I got the last double/twin room I haven't on my admittedly few passes through the common areas seen any sign of any other guest yet) but I feel OKish and a bit more chilled and happy than I did a day or two ago.

Oh, the small fountain pool with the terrapin in had been empty of water for the last couple of days - presumably they moved it somewhere else, maybe it doesn't really live in that small fountain pool all the time.

I'm aware I still haven't written up the airbnb fuckup the other day.

Having managed to download the maps.me map and had a quick poke in the vague direction of the 31km-distant thermal springs which Wikitravel says has some nice easy hikes round it, I am thinking tomorrow I will walk down past where the bus dropped me off, over the river and up some of the roads paths heading over that way - I am obviously not walking 31km out and 31km back but there are some hills and tracks shown on maps.me and it will be a bit of exercise and who knows? I feel mildly apprehensive but I suppose it's not terribly likely I'll be attacked by dogs or mugged and if I really feel crappy I can always turn round and come back. It should also be close enough that I can probably get a taxi (or hop on some rural bus which is passing and says Rancagua on the front) if I want; I may in fact try to get a bus back anyway for the novelty. It's much easier to get a bus back to somewhere in town than to try to get a bus out of town to a specific small place when I don't know the names or routes.

0005 Was going to have a shower but there's no hot water so I'll pass. There was earlier on hot tap on sink when did laundry so maybe there's a central tank and it's empty. Not too worried, I can always have one when I get back tomorrow - if I have to can have cold shower but rather not. It's pleasantly warm-ish in room with window open (there's an insect screen; window was open when I checked in) but not so warm I'm over-anxious to have a cold shower.

0012 Bed. Not feeling tired but see if I drift off.

No comments:

Post a Comment