Wednesday 20 February 2019

Santiago, Tuesday

2225 At Azoteo at top end of Vicuna MacKenna; not sure if ever going to get served. Was going to go to bar next door but no free tables. Not so busy here, fear may be expensive but pro  - no, not only was beer expensive but it was compulsory to eat so left, let's see what else we can do

2255 At Bar Santiago near U Catolica - this is nowhere near home, walked down to door of building without finding another bar and though the casual joy of a quiet beer on way home has now gone, I felt compelled to come somewhere (instead of not bothering or buying a bottle at offy near home). Were some nice-ish little bars on walk home but they were quite near lang exchange and not near home so figured be good to try somewhere nearer; more full me. Quite a lot of people about even tho it's Tuesday night, maybe poss because it's still university holiday but pure speculation. Hate wanky bars that not only sell only overpriced beer but make you pay for overpriced food for the privilege of ordering it.

(Years back remember going to a bar in Sohoish to try out the garlic beer I'd seen mentioned in paper or something, but supercilious fucker at bar told me they only served it with food. So I didn't try it, I'm sure it would have been foul but I was willing to pay a few quid for a beer, but not fifteen or twenty quid for a poncy version of pub food on top.)

Few possible twats on street but don't think there's much risk of anything serious happening on walk home.

Lang exchange not bad, got to listen in on some intra-Chilean speech and understood maybe 60% which isn't too bad. Also didn't consume anything - they ask people to, but the one waiter I asked for a diet coke was evidently stressed out and told me to ask later and no one came up to take my order again (and of course I was occupied in conversation and couldn't be looking round and signalling for waiters) so fuck 'em. Wouldn't have minded a diet coke but wasn't essential.

Not done much else today, popped out to supermarket just before lang exch to get water, nuisance but still. Messaged Cony but she's on holiday then back at work on Mon so may not see her, but see what happens and not end of world if can't.

2313 Looking at Google Maps there is a slightly shorter route back than the way I came (via Baquedano) - will prob chance that, don't think it's terribly dark and lonely. I would have stopped in any other bar I'd passed but having walked most of the route when I came back from lang exch to old flat I was fairly sure this would be first place I came to, plus I knew it would be open. Not a bad place but not super atmospheric or cheap.

2332 Finished that half litre, one more then home I think. Prob have a beer tomorrow afternoon or whatever so don't want to go crazy now, even if I wanted to, which I don't.

0012 Finished that, quite a lot of people here, maybe slightly busier. May have one more...

0102 Home. Not that I had much to say but stopped reading on phone and writing this crap shortly into third beer as battery down to 6%. Walk home not threatening at all down Portugal and Marin (which I keep thinking is Milan or Millan, even tho the John Walker connection should make it easy to remember), possibly less so than the longer walk back via Libertador and V MacKenna which I took out. A few people around - not BA levels of late-night street business but still - and these slightly back streets maybe attract fewer twats/criminals as well. A lot of rough sleepers on Portugal - a bit odd, as have walked down the same route as tonight during day without seeing bedrolls etc IIRC (and I may not) but also while have seen some signs of rough sleeping not that many before tonight, whereas Portugal had lots - but because they were, like, sleeping, not remotely threatening.

Only had three "pints", feel a bit pissed, yes I said I'd only have two but public health twats aside I can't really say three "pints" is insane debauchery and I don't really feel pissed pissed, just know I've had a beer or two (or three :-) ).

For record, Bar Santiago is *not* a happening bar or a dive bar or whatever. It's (and as a UKite I may be misusing the word) a largish diner, for want of a better word. Saw a few polystrene takeaway containers being handed over. But it was quietly busy with people having a few beers or cokes or what caught their fancy, it was if anything getting slightly busier right up to when I left and I really applaud them/a system which allows people to quietly consume food and/or beer at 1am on Wednesday morning with no fucking fuss. I spied a Gorrilaz video (not their hit, I didn't recognise the video precisely) on the screens behind bar not long before I left but music volumes so low I had been thinking "what's that song and where's it coming from?" .

No comments:

Post a Comment