Monday 4 February 2019

Santiago-Concepcion

Sun 1123 At bus terminal. Pretty sure I'm at the right one of the two (?) here by U de Santiago metro; the woman I bought from at the other terminal (where I'd gone to check out non-TB companies) told me it was from the TB terminal, which this is. Can't double check until nearer departure at 1245 but I have a specific platform number on ticket and sat near it.

Woke up on alarm 930 feeling a bit shit (tired); I didn't get to sleep til gone 4 I think, despite going to bed whenever I said. Not a big deal.

Was thinking about eating here at terminal (or the adjacent on) but not really that hungry, they may give me a couple of snacks on bus and while I fear being stuck on bus feeling hungry and unable to eat, it's really not the end of the world and I shouldn't get worked up about it. I should maybe buy some peanuts or something just in case, I dunno.

Had an instant coffee at flat before leaving, and listened to bit of music on small Bluetooth stereo. Noticed late last night had left some socks out drying when I packed, but at least I did notice, and not absolutely last minute either.

1221 Not eaten, not hungry, have paid 780 for small pack of biscuits at a small shop - would have preferred peanuts (if nothing else they won't smash up if they live in my bag for weeks before I eat them) but couldn't see any. Hope not to eat these today but at least I have them if I feel desperate.

1233 On bus. I started to get edgy was at wrong terminal, went for brief wander but couldn't find anyone to ask, and bus was in when I got back. MoS at door seemed to think my bag would fit in luggage rack upstairs and with my daypack removed it does; this means I avoid any possible depredations of baggage handlers demanding tips. Was trying to see if ppl were tipping as they handed bags in, didn't see anything like this but didn't spend long looking.

Unfortunately seat next to me occupied by woman with kid on lap, but both are asleep ATM and it'll probably be fine.

Annoyingly the luggage rack immediately above my seat is occupied by some air vent things so had to put it behind me where I can't check on it without turning head but prob OK. No luggage tags put on this time, normally even hand baggage has had them on other buses. Well, some - maybe only my hold bag did on the bus to Santiago.

1244 We're off, and air vent overhead now working too.

1248 OK, slightly mislead by small movement before but we are off now.

1402 They're offering to sell us food but not interested.

Can't remember if wrote this before but in case I didn't: noticed other day in Santiago (both at CSL and walking in street over to meet C at Baquedano) that the mountains around the city often don't immediately impinge on my consciousness (probably in part because of the hazy appearance they have) and then suddenly I notice them as I'm walking along or whatever, which is quite a cool effect.

2040 At airbnb. Gonna go out for coffee and prob write some while out then will come back for earlyish night.

2136 I'm back. Maybe I went the wrong way - I headed towards the river, also saw a sort of park/town square on Google Maps, and as it happens went by train station (mention of a tourist train) - and I appreciate it's Sunday night but the place appears rather desolate based on this walk. Small groups of people on street but no idea where they're going. I wanted coffee not beer or food but I saw *one* open bar, a bare concretey looking interior with one group of guys drinking in there, *one* coffee shop (one table, occupied, and a counter along one wall with two people sitting at it separately) and one bread-ish maybe coffee place with a "para servir or llevar" sign but apparently the eat-in option was limited to one table crammed at one end half in the street. Lots of petrol stations where I could probably have got a takeaway coffee. I didn't bother.

It's only just getting properly dark. Felt a touch windy once or twice but not really unsafe feeling, as I say quite a few people out in small groups. It's been overcast since got here and for the last hour at least there's been a really fine rain which doesn't wet you but means you feel microscopic drops of moisture hitting you as you walk around. TBH it's cool but not cold and temperature is actually quite nice.

Felt a bit more positive on walk over from bus terminal, yes it was overcast but it was late and not unpleasantly cold. Very lush green park with huge model dinosaurs (didn't stop to take pictures as had bag) quite cool. Wasn't sure if liked the place or not, some bits looked a bit grimy but the main street seemed spacious and not too run down. In hindsight not sure saw many bars or restaurants open on that side of the airbnb either, though there was at least a telepizza where you could eat in.

Not absolutely writing the place off yet - will have a proper wander tomorrow - but not super impressed.

airbnb fine, though the couple has two or more entries on airbnb, one for a single room and one for a triple-single-bed room. I paid something like from memory an extra pound a night for the triple but was shown a tiny (just big enough for single bed) room - I felt a bit pushy (rationally or not) but I did say something about this and got the triple after all. Maybe this was an honest mistake because it's just me, but can't help wondering if this was an attempt to keep the triple free despite me paying for it specifically.

Going to clean my teeth and go to bed and surf and maybe fall asleep soon. There is at least an electric socket next to two of the beds.

2201 OK, bed-ish. FWIW as soon as got to supermarket first day in Santiago saw cachantun bottled water (and bought some; it's relatively cheap) and that felt very "yes, this is Chile" - saw people with bottles of it on bus too.

No comments:

Post a Comment