Monday 25 February 2019

Santiago, Sunday

Mon 0110 Need to go to bed; I sort of need to force myself to be up early by way of prepping for needing to leave at 5am on Wed to go to airport, given I have been going to sleep 4amish and getting up middayish.

Think I have booked a transfer from here to airport Wed morning, though helpfully stiffed by Halifax Clarity security when it came to paying and thus slightly dubious if I do have a reservation or not. Have e-mailed transfer co tho their e-mail address is not on their own site so just have to hope the one I got on web works.

Did bit of research re getting from airport in Sao Paulo to hotel. Looks like UberX is best choice given I'm reluctant to try the real shoestring options when I don't speak the language and have rational or irrational fears about theft. I've signed up for Uber and downloaded the app and put my credit card details on so hope I am set. Plan B will have to be some kind of airport kiosk selling transfers and plan C a probably painfully expensive regular taxi. I suppose the shoestring free bus to airport train station then train the metro option *may* be a plan B/C/D/E, given I hope to be doing it in daylight plus it may be possible without any huge language issues.

Went for walk over to Parque Ines de Suarez this afternoon; amazed how hot it was on walk, how quiet (but not dangerous feeling) some of the streets were (some of them felt quite wealthy and/or tranquil; moderately amazing given how close to central Santiago they are). Park itself quite nice if not spectacular (the double row of tall palms was cool though, and the terracotta-looking statue and the fountain were quite nice), lots of families and couples but not too intrusive. Sat and had a mull there for maybe half an hour before walking back.

Got pizza+garlic bread offer at Milano's on way back; this time I didn't book online but just ordered at the counter. Not exactly rocket science but it's all practice etc so kudos there.

Vaguely tempted to pop out and get a beer to have at home this evening but didn't; gut feeling is will prob give ekono another try tomorrow and have a couple of beers in flat tomorrow (Mon, technically today).

Feeling a bit "waiting to leave" given Tue is last day and even Tue night is a bit weird given need to pack (stringently due to 8kg bag limit; will need to arrange things so I can maybe shove heavyish items in fleece pkts and wear it to avoid weighing, and/or take advantage of second "hand bag" allowance by putting some items in my daypack and holding that separately to split the weight up - I'm not significantly over 8kg but it's maybe touch and go and given Sky is a budget airline I expect them to be slavering for opportunities to fuck me over) and to be up 4am-ish Wed. Am a bit sorry to be leaving, tho after fucking waitress last night and some lingering suspicions I've been screwed over once or twice by other people I'm not quite so sad to be leaving Chile as I might be. I will almost certainly be back, I just don't know how soon - exactly financial and non-financial travel situation over next few years is a bit fuzzy at this point.

Have a bit of pizza left but will prob get some supplies in and cook at home tomorrow (and maybe top off with left over pizza), and maybe Tue too. I don't feel huge desire to go eat out and cooking at home is semi-healthy and I won't be able to do it once I have moved on and no longer have a whole flat. Well strictly speaking most hostels seem to offer a kitchen, and I prob already said towards end of Guatemala trip I "ought" to try cooking something in a hostel at least once just for the  "expanding comfort zone" kind of benefits. But it's not something I think I could ever do routinely.

No comments:

Post a Comment