Saturday 3 March 2012

Mendoza, Friday

1616 Wifi magically started working while lying on bed waiting for phone to charge and deciding if I felt ill or not. Have just come out for food, shall risk bife de lomo a punto (waiter's suggestion to have it a punto) with fries. I think I am more hungry than anything, except for nibbling at the two meals served on the bus I have not eaten since about 2pm yesterday.

First impressions of Mendoza reasonably good. They obviously get a lot of rain here at times as many streets have open drains a foot or two deep.

At Santi Coffee Resto Bar, just off Espejo.

1650 Portion rather small viewed in general terms, but probably for the best under the circumstances. Steak pretty good and tender all the same. Actually feel pretty OK, shall linger here for a coffee before going for a bit of a wander if I still feel OK.

This is a really strong coffee.

2201 At, actually fuck knows, maybe extreme bar - no decent sign - on Aristides Villanueva, which (my words) is apparently the local equivalent of Santiago's Pio Nono. Not quite that heaving. Walked virtually whole length on both sides trying to find somewhere liked the look of, this was more of a "fuck it, this'll do" than a "yeah, this is the place for me". Feeling massively overdressed as due to not getting private bathroom today couldn't do any washing tonight and hence, saving my one clean T-shirt for the day tomorrow, am wearing my somewhat smart long-sleeved blue shirt (and as far as temperature goes it's fine, though I'd still prefer to be wearing short sleeves and then I could wear the fleece) and - probably all in my head - it feels like I'm dressed up. Sod it. A little of the sweet brown liquor should alleviate these concerns. Plan is just to have a few drinks, take it easy and maybe go home about midnight-1.

As mentioned in one of the comments on hostelworld, the twin room (bunkbeds) no bathroom I am in tonight is actually a quad with a partition wall which doesn't reach to the ceiling (the ceiling fan is common to both). It's not that bad but FFS. Think I already mentioned the one socket in the room is used for the light. Left camera battery on charge while out, it showed signs of near death on Cerro San Bernardo other day. Can't complain as it lasted an entire 2GB memory card's worth of photos and video, this charge should easily see out the trip.

While it's hardly deserted I am clearly out 'too early'. However, given my recent health I am not trying for a 'proper' night out. If I feel OK after tonight maybe I will come out at 11 tomorrow night and plan on sticking around til 2 or so.

2307 Seems to be a bit of a surge of clientele. I am not feeling exactly chipper, though not really physically ill beyond a slight headache. I am regarding tonight more as a trust-building exercise with my own body than anything else.

2355 I do beg the bar's pardon. On eyeing up the frontage better I see that mixed with extreme sport ads for 'Dr Lemon' it is in fact called exxtreme bar. So even more xtreme than I originally gave it credit for.

Nearly finished this litre of Andes, which frankly isn't going down well. Not feeling much better but not feeling worse. Shall get a litre of Quilmes and see how that goes. Still feel frankly conspicuous but I'm sure it's all in my head.

0008 Finally got attention of waiter for a Quilmes. Fuck me, I hate trying to attract their attention. I either get ignored or feel like an arrogant boor.

So cold it's got ice forming in it, but that tastes better. Won't say Andes sucks after a single bottle when I'm frankly in an odd mood but it wasn't to my taste tonight.

0033 Just been for piss. Inside of bar is absolutely deserted. The toilet is quite literally a bathroom. No seat on the bog but a bog all the same, no urinal, a sink and a bath.

Just noticed there is a blackboard advertising cocktails, and it has both 'Tequila Sunrise' and 'Sex on the beach', in English. Do these things not translate? By naff cocktails is the English language spread... All very exxxxtreeme, perhaps. ;-) Someone should invent a line of existentialist cocktails whose names conjugate the verb 'to be'. We've tried spreading the language by conquest and commercial power, alcohol could be the next big contributor.

0052 Just paid (48, made it 60). I feel 90% sound and not drunk and may or may not finish this litre (which is only half done) but I'm not having the greatest time and since I don't trust my body am definitely not pushing it tonight.

0117 Back at hostel. Feel fine. Bit of a disappointing night but at least - touch wood - I'm on the mend. Better to walk hesitantly than run and come a painful cropper after Monday night.

Loads of people out as I left, as I had expected, but that wasn't the point personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment