Sunday 4 March 2012

Mendoza, Saturday

1121 At Giovanni's on Sarmiento. Was starving and noticed menu of the day is an empanada followed by bife de lomo a lo pobre. Sign me up baby.

There is evidently some kind of massive parade or something (though it doesn't move much) as Sarmiento is blocked. I can see it from my table outside though am not massively interested. I don't think it's a protest, all far too good nature.

Woke up about 10 and drowsed til 1040. Have changed room, new one is nicer though the bathroom is in a little separate courtyard. Not washed clothes yet, wanted food!

1205 Not the best lomo a lo pobre to be honest but still. Dessert included and was going to get a coffee to finish up but they apparently don't have it (!) so getting bill. Shall wander and/or look at guide book and see what attractions are this side of Sarmiento...

Fuckers. Asked for a second soft drink and never got it, but they've charged me for it. Can't be arsed to argue, bill is 80 and should be 70 so have just paid 85 for a 20%-ish tip on the right amount.

1752 At Old Bull Tavern on Zapata, having a beer. Walked quite a lot. Parched despite having drunk 2l of soft drinks while out.

Went to Museo Fundacional to NW of centre. Reencountered parade (which guide books say - from memory - is annual wine festival, I guess I got lucky being here during it) in San Martin on way over and watched a bit. Went to aquarium en route as recommended by guide book, then walked up past MF by mistake, doubling back and finding it eventually. Thanks to using up my nice accumulation of small bills on the restaurant at lunch and the remainder on aquarium entry and the soft drinks, has 2x2 peso notes and a couple of 100 notes by time I got to MF. They had no change but were nice enough to let me in for free (it should have been 9 pesos).

They do hallf litre bottles of Quilmes here (oh, I saw a turn-of-20th-century Quilmes bottle at MF, which was oddly cool) which is handy. Plan is to try to relax over this then go back to hostel for shower, laundry and a bit of sod all. Will probably aim to go out at 10ish tonight and see how it goes; I will probably postpone eating until then too, though I guess having eaten once today I could probably get away without eating again if I wanted.

Bizarre. A group of about 10 Andesmar coaches all just went past together, one after the other.

Fuck me. 20 for a half litre. The place is not remotely swanky either. Got exact change for a 100 and left four on the table, that may be insulting but fuck it, so was the price. I expect to pay 20-25 (before tip) for a litre.

2231 Fuck. At exxtreme bar again. Did length of street again and nowhere particularly appealed. Did go to basilko or wtf immediately next door where got given a menu then studiously ignored when wanted to order (I drew the line at waving my fucking arms around), so hopped over here. Getting a pepperoni pizza 'plato cubierto' or something, whatever the fuck that means, waiter made sort of knife and fork gestures when I said I didn't know what that meant (it was a question) so I pretended that helped and said yes. Developed a headache approximately the instant I sat down at bar next door.

Getting the large pizza which is probably too much but fuck it. I will eat what I want and nibble at the rest. Hmm, maybe should have got the small. Fuck it.

Totally off balance. Waiter just delivered beer and plate and asked if I'm here on my own. I infer this is basically in case I want additional plates for the pizza but I am reading a certain 'you fat sad bastard' into it. Fuck it.

0134 Can't help but feel that pizza was a mistake. Only ate 3/4 of it but feeling a bit heavy.

0302 Getting bill. No point pushing it, the magic isn't happening tonight. Blame it on the pizza. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment