Tuesday 6 March 2012

Mendoza, Monday

1121 At Al Limite having an impromptu breakfast (coffee, croissants, orange juice). Got up about 1005 and just checked out in time, hostel is looking after my bag.

Am walking over to bus terminal to buy ticket but stupidly went west not east down Aristides/Colon. Only realised at far end of street, so now stopped here having returned more or less to my starting point before striking out east. As a minor consolation did encounter a tram, presumably a test, beeping to attract attention as it ran down Belgrano.

1230 At Old Bull Tavern for lunch. Got to bus terminal - it is slightly awkwardly pedestrian accessible, if you go the right way, though shall get taxi with bag later - and paid 380 for cama (got a seat on the single side of the aisle, right at the back) to Rosario tonight at 1930, arriving 0700. Went with first company I found this time instead of getting a second price, but sod it, in the past it's usually been more about times than price.

Oh, half litre of Quilmes is indeed 20 on menu, and it's only 28 for a litre. Having diet coke with food but may have a tea and/or a beer after; beyond possibly meandering up to the disused railway station to take a look, I have no pressing plans for this afternoon.

1436 At Don Otto Snack Bar on Las Heras, hoping to get a drink. Did wander up to disused station; oddly creepy. The station building is rather decayed and nothing stops you wandering in; I did go onto the platform but didn't like to wander down it as I was worried about being mugged (despite it being broad daylight) and/or accosted for trespassing.

Got a litre and it is a draught litre, which is a little ridiculously large. WTF. Wasn't going to order a half litre as quite apart from the fact that it don't satisfy ;-), I feared it would be disproportionately expensive.

1709 Had 1.5 litres there, wandered at now at La Mira round corner from hostel - apart from the obvious convenience for bag collection, seemed fitting to close my time here where I came first day. Coffee here.

One of the new trams parked up in Belgrano and one of the local buses made up to look like an old-fashioned tram just stopped too.... (AFAICT those buses are in regular service and not a tourist thing.)

Rod Stewart's greatest hits playing...

1839 At terminal. Bit of a struggle to get taxi in street but OK. As I was getting out and had shut door, driver called me back - the two combination locks on my bag had evidently not been locked and had fallen onto seat. Could swear I had locked them before putting bag in storage, however a cursory check suggests laptop still in bag so I have to assume this doesn't signify interference in storage, just an amazing oversight on my part. I could have sworn I was pretty careful about that sort of thing these days. Oh well.

1850 Fuck me, that has disconcerted me. Guess it worked out OK though. Tempted to get a coffee or something at one of the cafe type places near the terminal but with 40 mins to go before bus it would be a bit rushed and it's not like I desperately want either a beer or a coffee having indulged in both this afternoon. Shall quite possibly be having a coffee in Rosario tomorrow morning anyway, given 7am arrival.

1906 A bloke at a table here is drinking a mix of Coca Cola and Andes (beer); I just watched him top up his glass. I shall have to try that back home. No idea if it's a local thing or just him.

1915 On bus. Entire bus appears to be cama, which seems a little unusual but may not be. I am at far rear of top deck (so I might infer there are 36 seats on the entire bus, my seat being 36). All OK but seriously off balance, can only attribute it to that lock thing which is affecting me way too much. Guess I just need to chill. May bag is checked in, I stupidly tipped the guy who took it and now have no small notes (and like maybe a single 0.50 coin if I'm lucky) to tip the guy at the other end. Still, bag is checked in, I obviously have my phone, I have my wallet and camera, my passport has been in my hidden belt all day and I have my daypack with me containing water and indeed my netbook. So it's cool, except for inability to tip baggage guy at far end. Just need to relax.

I was rushing a little as I checked out so it's not totally impossible I forgot to lock it but it does seem a bit unlike me. Since nothing obviously valuable has been nicked and they didn't know my next destination so I can't be used as a reliable drug mule :-) I guess it must just have been an accident.

Battery at 22% but I have the spare so will be fine.

Was told when bought ticket ultimate destination is Parana. Have set an alarm on phone for 630 to reduce risk of sleeping past Rosario.

1934 Leaving. Bus virtually empty which doesn't fit with the free seats shown when I bought ticket. Have to assume there is some intermediate stop or stops where a lot of people will be getting on. Sod it.

1949 Steward chap just asked if I want to move forward so I can see the TV better. Fuck knows what happened to all those passengers who bought the other seats. I didn't move, I like my single seat and have no the least interest in sitting nearer the TV, which I can see perfectly well anyway in the unlikely event the film is of any interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment