Thursday 8 March 2012

Rosario, Wednesday

1325 At La Chopperia de Pellegrini on Pelllegrine. Hope I have ordered grilled steak with chips but since the guy went off on something regarding the steak and when I said I didn't understand he merely repeated the word 'lomo', fuck knows. Wanted to get a large (1.25l) soft drink but they don't do that sugar-free, so getting the overpriced microscopic 350ml. Maybe I should have gone for the large full-fat soft drink but it seems a waste of calories, plus I don't want to feel like my teeth are dissolving all day.

Woke up about 10 and then again about 11 and finally got up about 12. Slept well and woke up feeling good about 10 but managed to dig myself into a minor hole by 11.

Had a look into trains to BA, nothing tomorrow. In hindsight I should maybe have left BA by train, but it obviously never occurred to me and I guess I was ill/pushed for time to decide. No big deal. Should I return I will bear it in mind. (I can see myself coming back to Argentina, whether I would go out of my way to spend time in BA is less clear. I suspect it would be natural to go there in practice, just as a matter of travel practicalities.)

It feels hot today and it's sunny, not grey like yesterday. Air conditioned in here at least.

1559 Fuck is it hot & humid. Was going to MACRO but had enough of the heat & humidity & these fucking migrating spider web Have stopped off for much needed beer at Quillagua on waterfront; there is shade and a breeze of the river. May or may not proceed to MACRO afterwards.

Went to Estacion Fluvial but no boats; I believe on checking guide book that is correct for non-weekend ,though the bloke at the ticket desk said - I could swear - there were none today due to snow.

Ice bucket and iced glass for beer. Perfect.

2118 At Pasaporte, corner Maipu/Urquiza. Getting a half pizza and a litre of Heineken. Probably give the music at the hostel a miss, unless it happens to be on when I get back at 1130-midnightish.

Booked hostel for BA Thu/Fri before coming out this evening, also washed some more clothes.

Reserved a seat on flight before leaving hostel this morning; I left it too late really and couldn't get emergency exit row or any of the particularly sweet ordinary seats. Did cough up £25 for an aisle seat right at the back which looks like it has a larger than usual area of open space next to it. T'will be fine, aisle seat is the main thing.

Went straight back to hostel after beer; I decided what I really wanted was a shower. Bit of a shame not to go to MACRO but I'm supposed to be enjoying myself so no point forcing myself against weather-induced inclinations. Something for next time...

Did notice on riverfront before going to bar this afternoon:
- two joggers trailing cobwebs
- two women picking cobwebs off each other
- three spiders scuttling about on the concrete surface, one of which was bordering on the 'oh fuck' size were I to discover it about my person.

Touch wood, I have only had one or two on me, and both were sufficiently small as to be relatively untroubling. I don't think the migrating fuckers are that big; it's not as if you see enormous buggers at the ends of the (sometimes amazingly long) migratory strands.

I got a spider and a fly in my beer afterwards this afternoon. Fished both out with tissues. I can't believe the guide book doesn't mention this.

Seems less of an issue tonight and I am sat under a canopy by way of extra protection.

This is a pleasant enough bar but the seats are terrible.

Doubtless due to the end of the trip approaching, I am not exactly looking forward to returning to BA tomorrow but I am sure it will all be fine. It's getting to the point where I almost wish I was sat on the plane though. Shall take it easy in BA; I may or may not do some touristy stuff but I'm not going to feel obliged.

Flight leaves 1440 which is not bad - I expect to check out as late as permitted and make it to the airport in plenty of time - but lands 0640, which will be 0340 by my body clock, so I am not optimistic about getting much sleep on the flight back. Also haven't checked if tube running OK on Sunday but I guess it can't be helped anyway. Can't say I exactly relish the prospect of returning to work but it's not forever; I have some vague plans for the future, and it will in a way be pleasant to spend the spring and summer in London. It will doubtless suck during the Olympics but it might be interesting to see how the atmosphere changes, and with some judicious walking home in the evenings instead of using public transport I hope it won't be too painful.

0113 Back at hostel. Left half of third litre - would have got a smaller third one but it was a litre or 330ml. No problem. Quite a nice relaxed evening. Bar by no means deserted but not super lively when I left, and nowhere I passed on the walk back showed much sign of activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment