Friday 2 March 2012

Salta-Mendoza

Thursday 1324 They say travel broadens your horizons and boy is it true. I just saw an ice cream kiosk advertising a choc ice *shaped like a ring doughnut*. I genuinely thought "what a novel idea!" I suspect it's grossly impractical but still. (It was Simpsons-branded, so bit surprised I haven't seen it before, but maybe it was a knock off or whatever.)

At Mistela, getting small pizza. Managed to get last cama seat (8 again, though this time seat to left is occupied) on 1530 bus to Mendoza for ARS530. Onlly just had enough cash. Earlier companies I asked had no bus or charged ARS400-something for semi-cama leaving 9pm, so I snapped their hand off for this one. Guide book gives sample price of ARS230. Need to be there by 1510.

Felt OK last night but couldn't get to sleep til about 330. Felt OK when woke up, got up about 1020 and was checked out by 11. Hostel looking after bag (said I could leave it in same room I'd been staying in) so went to bus terminal, got ticket then got cable car up to Cerro San Bernardo for 45-60 mins before coming down here. Feeling a little pressed for time but it's cool; hostel is maybe 2 mins from here tops, and the unencumbered walk to the bus terminal is about 15 mins, so even with the bag you're probably looking at no worse than 30. So I have on that basis 60-70 mins to eat here.

1514 Just got on bus. It's perhaps foolish to be on any earlier than necessary given we are not due to arrive til 1010 approx tomorrow (so I make that 18h 40m) but what's fifteen minutes? At least this way I stake out my claim to my official seat. Tipping seemed to be taking place on handing bags in today, oh well, I gave the guy an ARS2 note.

Woman ahead of me in queue had half full bottle of Stolichnaya in the pouch of her backpack.

Food went down better than last couple of days though did feel a bit sick after eating. I did at least finish the (personal size) pizza though. Covered in greenery, rather odd but did taste OK.

Bag weighed a ton walking over as I have accumulated two big bottles of water and the remains of some pomelo drink during my time at the hostel here. Not a big deal and at least I am well equipped for this bus. Kind of hoping to get a coffee feeling healthy in Mendoza Friday morning.

1635 We just stopped for ages at what seemed to be an Andesmar (bus co) office in middle of nowhere where lot of people got on. As we pulled out at last something ,presumably a stone, has shattered the toughened glass on the window of the single seat to the right of the aisle next to me. It doesn't look like this is going to hold us up, I hope not. The wait at their office must have been 20 mins as it was.

1657 Fuck knows. Still here. Thought I heard something said about changing to another bus but as far as I can judge they are fuelling this one up. Way to increase the journey time, guys.

1709 Still here...

1716 Wow, we actually appear to be leaving.

1719 Ho ho ho. Of course we weren't. The bus just shuffled to a slightly different part of this concourse.

1755 Still here. A sign on wall

1802 OK, we have changed bus. Asked if they'd moved all the bags over (I didn't have to pick it up and check it back in) and guy even opened compartment on old bus to show me it was empty. Sign might have said Zona Uca de something but can't remember. No matter, just thought it might be a clue to where we are. Seatbelts on new bus but otherwise identical. I half hope we speed recklessly to make up for lost time...

GPS says this is where we changed buses the second time on the way into Salta, a few miles south of General Guermes and maybe 20 miles east of Salta. This is impressive progress given we only left Salta two and a half hours ago.

WOULD IT BE SO FUCKING LETHAL TO TRAVEL WITH A SIDE PANE OF SAFETY GLASS CRACKED? DID WE REALLY HAVE TO SPEND AN HOUR AND A HALF, BY THE CLOCK, FUCKING AROUND HERE OVER IT?

There aren't any seatbelts after all; I must have hallucinated. Not too bothered. At speeds of under ten miles an hour on average, even a head-on collision is likely to be harmless..

1810 We finally appear to be leaving, touch wood, etc. I shall have to revisit this little spot in the future, it has so many memories attached to it.

1831 Bizarre. They gave us a little 4x4 grid of numbers and we just played bingo. I wouldn't have had the balls (no pun intended) to claim anyway so perhaps fortunately I only got one number.

Oh, there is a seatbelt, I sat on it. Am wearing it on the offchance it helps, though it's nice not to be compelled to. Bored.

2040 We just had some sort of police inspection. I feel like a fucking drug smuggler because I have four packets of, well, fuck knows, let's call them peanuts they gave me at Chopp Cordoba which I shoved in my pocket against the hour I might be desperate enough to want to eat them.

Some tedious film on about robot boxing. Soundtrack not too loud though.

2140 At a terminal somewhere. Most people got off, either because they are travelling here or to stretch their legs. I don't want to and haven't. But been fucked around and transferred from bus to bus so much recently am wondering if it's going to turn out I am expected to change. Fortunately not everyone has got off.

Friday 1208. At La Mira waiting to be served. Bus got in about 1110. Woke up with the usual pseudo-hungover 'I am so dehydrated and there is water next to me but I cannot exert myself to move and obtain it' but generally OK journey.

Was going to walk to hostel but terminal surrounded by howling wasteland of un-pedestrian-friendly roads so abandoned walk after five mins and went back to terminal for taxi.

Naturally some minor fuck up with rooms at hostel and I am in one room tonight and another tomorrow. Not such a big deal except I always worry I am getting shafted financially (I have a feeling first night's room may not have private bathroom, and if so it should be cheaper). Hostelworld do some sort of $50 compensation under their '100% guaranteed' scheme which I may look into, but even if this qualifies I always feel it might piss the hostel off to complain. We shall see.

Just got served, waitress asked if I wanted a large coffee, which is the first time this has happened. Said yes and we shall see what turns up.

Oh, if I forgot to say, I don't have the room yet, they are cleaning it so they are looking after my bag for an hour and I'm here.

The large coffee is pretty normal looking to me.

1352 Withdrew some cash, checked in. They did give me a discount so fine. Room OK though exactly one power point which also used for the light...

Wifi not working in room but hopeful will do elsewhere. Bob Dylan song from Highway 61 Revisited about 'Lost in Juarez' whose title escapes me playing in reception. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment