Friday 13 September 2013

Vaccinations

0905 At surgery in waiting room. Forgot to bring little yellow book of vaccinations with me, only realised while filling in form. Ran back home to get it. Questions on form not answerable, asks for country and location to visit. Frankly I don't know exactly where, except for India. Will see what nurse says. Not going into the Latin America trip here, I suspect these vaccinations will cover me and I can always come back if necessary.

I suspect malaria tablets are going to be the big difficulty.

0935 Waiting for DLR to work. No vaccinations, typhoid was apparently sort of a bit recommended but they don't have any in stock, there is a national supply problem and if I avoid places which prepare food unhygienically I'll be OK. Frankly a bit dissatisfied with that but what can you do? I just might see if I can get it done privately.

I don't need any malaria tablets. Thailand doesn't have malaria except where it 'leaks over' the borders. Basically the nurse made out it's a huge drag taking malaria tablets 1-2 days before and 1-7 days after entering a malaria region, so unless you're going to be away from medical attention it's not worth it. I didn't realise "that's tedious" was how this worked. I guess I won't exercise or watch my drinking because "that's tedious". She didn't quite phrase it like that, it was more "and are you really going to bother taking all those tablets?". I thought malaria was kind of incurable once you got it but you know, it would be tedious taking any tablets. Advice basically seemed to be use DEET etc.

The map she had (travax.nhs or something) showed no malaria risk for the New Delhi-Agra-Jaipur area of India, and none for Georgia, so that's not a concern.

Oh well. I guess it's all OK, it just feels like this is very much of 75% kind of effort deal. Probably I'm just in a bad mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment