Saturday 10 December 2011

Bus Iquique-La Serena

2019 Fucking bizarre. We pulled up at what is evidently a customs point in the middle of nowhere. I only got off when I realised everybody else had; I had assumed it was a toilet break, despite only being 2.5h in. I don't think I missed an annoucement, though I have been sleeping/drowsing a lot.

All the bags got unloaded - mine was waiting on the curb! - and we had to line them up on two parallel metal benches, open. A guy gave them the most cursory search imaginable and I think someone also searched the bus. We are now slowly filtering back on.

No idea what exactly it is all about. Didn't see any signs here or back in Iquique about not taking fruit and vegetables or anything.

2027 OK, there are signs just outside saying 'welcome to region II Antofagasta'. Just maybe it's related to that, though I'm still not sure what they were looking for.

2133 Tocopilla. Battery at 25%, just switched to airplane mode to try to wring a little more life out.

0015 Some terminal. Probably Antofagasta. Brat (think it might actually be the second in a relay) to left just got off. Thank fuck. Not that annoying to be honest but it fucking would not shut up, and it wouldn't keep its voice down.

0820 Guard chappy just said something incomprehensible (didn't help my ears needed popping) about '10 minutes'. I just said si si and am sat here with my fleece on.

Fuck knows. GPS says we are approaching Copiapo.

0843 Copiapo. Got off just to make sure guard chap didn't chuck my bag off. He said it was just in case I wanted to use toilet. Could have done but not desperate enough to risk bus leaving with my bag on it. Stood outside for a bit anyway.

Did have a piss in bus toilet during this break. When tried to get out there was a big blue water type container half blocking door. Squeezed out. Some guy said something about 'closed' but don't know if he was telling me the toilet was closed (no sign and no blue container when I went in) or saying something about having put the container there (apologising, maybe). Fuck knows. I just can't understand a fucking word when I'm stressed.

Slept badly. Woke up at least once feeling paralysed. Bus emptied at some point and loads of double seats free. I didn't like to move because of allocated seating and maybe other people getting on, but bloke sat next to me did move during the night (is back now, bus seems fuller again).

1051 Leaving Vallenar.

1530 Got in about 1330, been at hostel having 3S and charging phone up. Guide book says museum with moai opens at 4. Can't get hostel wifi to work and not sure if I have credit left but may try to send this and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment